Perdido Wood Boat Festival?

Steve Day

I really enjoyed the festival.  The two B&B boats captured significant interest from quite a few folks.  Steve brought his garvey to the show today but I didn't have my camera with me.  I was surprised just how big a boat it is.  In person, it is much bigger than it appears in pictures I have seen of that design.  Here are a few shots I grabbed while there:

post-839-129497682802_thumb.jpg

post-839-129497682807_thumb.jpg

post-839-129497682811_thumb.jpg

post-839-129497682815_thumb.jpg

post-839-129497682818_thumb.jpg

post-839-129497682822_thumb.jpg

Larry,

Congratulations! You won second place with your Spindrift! Way to go. I believe the class was sail under 16', but I could be wrong about that. I have your trophy and will be happy to get it to you. Give me a call at 251-421-1847 and we can make arrangements to get it to you.

I also won second place for the Diva 2 in the human propelled boats over 15'. Lots of compliments for the Diva and the Spindrift from the folks attending.

Wally Latham got second place in the "Shiny Boats" category. That boat is the one with the '57 Johnson outboard in Larry's photos.

I participated in the rowing/paddling race this afternoon and came in second. They guy in front of me was 40 years younger  :o than me, so I don't feel bad about that at all.

The little boat in Larry's pictures with the green hull won "Best in Show." A well deserved honor.

All-in-All, the show was very successful and very well attended.

Steve

WooHoo! 8).  I was just joking when I asked you to pick up my trophy for me!  I never entertained the idea that there would actually be one.    Thanks a lot  and congratulations to you as well.  I'm glad you were able to stay for the awards.  I'll give you a call tomorrow sometime.  It won't be first thing because I have a jury summons that has me at the courthouse early.

Larry

The boat Steve mentioned as "best in show" has an inboard Robin lawnmower engine with a belt drive.  It kinda reminds me of a "rescue-minor" without a tunnel.  The decks and trim are white oak and the seats are caned.  All of the brass hardware was shop-built by the owner/builder, as was the prop.  He said the hull was his own design.

post-0-129497639507_thumb.jpg