Texas200

Dale Niemann

Anybody heard about this new Raid? 

Here is all I know about it. It was sent to our WCTSS email.  It sounds interesting.  A new challenge for Graham, maybe.

Dale

Chuck Leinweber (Chuck the Duck from Duckworks) is organizing a raid

type even along 200 miles of the Texas coast. If anyone is interested,

the web site is www.texas200. com.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chuck and I talked about this earlier this year. It should be a very interesting trip. A Core Sound would be a great boat for it. Maybe I'll get our sharpie back together by then. Laura wants me to change it into a trimaran ala the Sea Pearls.

The ending at Magnolia Beach is our back yard. We can see that beach from our front deck.

Tom- it'll be a hard sail, but nothing like the EC. The hardest part will be the Laguna Madre leg- very shallow and very few places to stop unless you have really shallow draft. There wouldn't be a huge amount of barge traffic down there, but between Corpus and Magnolia Beach, you'll most likely have at least one in sight every hour or so, maybe more. Laura was sailing this past Sunday in the ICW at Port O'Conner and was dealing with 6 at one time. 4 heading south and 2 northbound.

I've told Chuck at Duckworks that I'm planning to be there. For the moment, I'm thinking of taking my C-15, but if anyone is looking for crew for a slightly bigger boat, I'd be happy to talk with you. In case you haven't seen it at the Texas200 web site, there is a windrose image that shows the typical conditions for the month of June. The image is from the National Resources Conservation Service of the USDA.

http://tinyurl.com/3d3g3j

Based on the course and conditions it looks like there is a good chance this will be a long broad reach. Sounds like a blast!

Pete B

Yup- the Core Sounds would work very well down there. As would the other small sailboats from B and B. BRS  for example. Even Travis is toying with bring Pilgrim down. We'll be sailing a CLC John's Sharpie if we manage to do it.

Laura says we're gonna ;D

Just remember- the Laguna Madre is where the flats scooters were invented. Boats that look like this-

aVoLXJi.jpg

And will run in 6 to 8 inches of water. Note where the anti ventilation plate is in relation to the water- the hull is a tunnel boat and totally flat bottomed.

yeah it would - and most barges really don't push that big of waves. They DO pull water behind them but I surely wouldn't worry about wakes. Remember - most barge/tows are moving at 5/ 5.5 knots which is why most sailboats don't even attempt to pass one going the same direction- it can take MILES.

You just have to get used to seeing this-

aVpvjAA.jpg

And remember - these guys are professionals- they DO NOT want to hit a sailboat- it would ruin their entire week. But you've got less chance of one of them doing something screwy than you have of someone on the highway doing something screwy- remember all those semis you pass at 140 mph closing speed, with less than 5 feet clearance?

Usually there's plenty of room and you just stay out of their way. Laura and I have over 3400 miles of ICW cruising under our keels, and I can remember ONE jerk on a tow boat. Most are great people.

I would love to make this trip in Pilgrim.  I sailed a 17' Atkin design catketch that I built (back in the 60's) from Port Isabel to Baffin Bay and then on to Corpus Christi.  I also have sailed the remainder of the coast on different occasions.  This would be a fabulous trip ;D. 

I don't have any charts of the Laguna anymore, but I think you would not have any trouble at all sailing a centerboard boat that drew no more than a foot of water.  The really shallow water is usually some distance from the ICW - though there are some exceptions.

I am going to start tentatively planning to make this trip.  I don't know when the BEER cruise is this year yet, and I have always enjoyed going to it, and there may be a conflict, but this Texas 200 would be a LOT more sailing with probably a lot more dependable winds ;D

aVuYkPS.jpg

I would really like to go but have no experience in this type of sailing.  When we get together with the BOOTS crew I consider it a major feat to sail to a point 5 miles away in a lake and make it back without a tow.

I've sailed farther in better winds but all of my sailing has been daysailing normally for 3-4 hours at a time.  I think I need to study the requirements some more and maybe try sailing for 10-12 hours straight before signing on for such a trip.  The salt water would be good though because Travis told me I need to get some more rust on my trailer.

Tim,

I'm in the same proverbial boat as you. I'd be more comfortable with the Texas 200 if I had a couple long overnight trips, camp cruising around here first. So between now and then, I'll be taking a few trips up to Lake Texoma to see how my boat and body handle 10-12 hours of straight sailing. Let me know if you want to tag along. Safety in numbers and all that...

Pete B

So lets see... My choices are to drive like a bat out of he** right after Anna's graduation with

1. Thomas and I and the Weekender (shallow keel, no shade )

2. Thomas and I and the Sanibel (combo shallow keel/ centerboard, and bimini)

3. Newly trimarized birder kayak and camping gear ... (ha just a dream)

I don't think this one would be a good extended cruise for Jaci's first

John

oh I don't know- she might just surprise you and have a ball. I suspect the Sanibel would do pretty well. What does it draw? I mean- Travis is talking about bringing Pilgrim along.

Should have good reaching winds the entire route by the way. Laura has single handed almost half of the trip;D She's really up for this .

We just discussed over our anniversary dinner tonight... the possibility..

I talked about how far a 40 mile day is by Water...  She came up with the idea of Launching from the endpoint and doing a "meet the fleet" and return with them..  Much less road time...  and if we got into time constraints after graduation, we wouldn't even have to be there for the absolute beginning. 

I know the prevailing winds would probably mean motoring down and sailing back.. but what the heck... and I'd probably miss the  best part.. the wilds in the southern part of the route.

That would give us the option of going all the way to the next to the last camp point, or just the last camp point, and then of course the messabout is right after.. 

The permuatations are endless.

John

Actually we can often sail both ways- one way on a broader reach,, the other on a closer one.

But what you suggest is quite do-able. It's really not far by road to Corpus or Rockport, so  getting there and launching, then going back for the trailer isn't really an insurmountable thing.

Or going down on the boat- but if you are gonna sail down, you may as well save a day and drive to a launch further down and join there. Would take the same time.

Oh- and there is PLENTY of "wilds" along the whole route. In fact, much more wilds than not. The Texas coast is VERY different from what you saw in Florida at BEER. There just isn't the build up along the ICW except RIGHT at the towns.

• 6 months later...

Hi Tim,

I look forward to seeing the B&B boats at the 200. At least you have painted your boat. I don't like to fair and couldn't decide on a color scheme so my boat just has a few coats of urethane for some UV protection. You can see the patch for the hole I punched in her hitting a dock at a reservoir in ND. My center board trunk warped and it has an interesting look to it as well.

Some people (me) just shouldn't be allowed to build boats. So far she still floats.

I put a bimini on my CS 20 and hope to have her out this weekend to see how that works out on the water. Works ok in the driveway.

My motor has not been started for two years. Guess I better do that this weekend as well.

Well- here's what our sharpie looked like yesterday, preparing for the Tex 200. The main hull is a John's Sharpie from CLC, but the amas were designed by Graham, so it'll be PARTLY a B and B boat ;D

This was a dry assembly just to mark where stuff went. I started building the hulls two weeks ago today.

post-36-12949767085_thumb.jpg