Texas200

Dale Niemann

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I started this thread, I thought I would let you all know that "Lively" and I will not be able to make the Texas200 this year.  Gas prices primarily conspired with other things to help me decide that this is not the year to make the big drive to Texas.

Dale

Dale,

I am sorry that you are not going. The high gas prices almost talked me out of going but I decided that you only live once. I once sailed in a regatta at Corpus Christi so I have an idea what the conditions are like which I think will be a lot of fun. I anticipate 200 miles of fast reaching.

What's all this talk about gas prices? I thought you people owned sailboats... and wind is still free.  :)

(kidding, of course... gas prices are killing us, too... We bought a motorcycle as a second vehicle last year and I swear that we are now saving in gas enough to more than cover the monthly loan payment. Is that insane or what? Bike gets up to 52 miles per gallon... Jeep only gets about 15 in town, 19 on the highway)

I can't make the Texas meet since I'm teaching summer school... but I'd love it if someone would kindly snap lots of pictures and post them for the rest of us to enjoy. Still hoping there may be a B&B meet in the NC (or GA) area in the near future, too.

Greg,

My port of call is Clearwater, FL.

Dale

Dale, it looks like you are at the right spot for the Everglades Challenge, and I envy you that.  It would be a long haul for you to make it to the Mexican border or to Matagorda Bay.  I hope to someday get an opportunity to see your boat and meet you.  Perhaps next year. :)

• 3 weeks later...

They're off!  Charlie (and Laura) and Graham went zooming away from the crowd.  Apparently Graham got detained for an hour yesterday at an Immigration roadblock because he didn't have his green card with him.  Full report and daily reports at the Duckworks site (http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/08/gatherings/tx200/index.htm).  Wish I was there. 

News from the first day.  Winds were gusting to 30.  One boat capsized (failed to reef) and was rescued by a Martha Jane.

Graham Byrnes in the Southern Skimmer reached camp first around noon. He recorded a new top speed for him of 18 mph, which was helped slightly by a 1.5mph current in the land cut.

We have made it to Sikeston, MO, but are having both gasoline leaking problems and also electrical problems with the RV.  We had planned to be at Matagorda Bay by Friday PM, but now will probably not make it till Saturday, if at all.  The Monday start was postponed 1 day due to flooding and bad storms in Illinois and Indiana, then we could not get the RV to start Monday evening.  Went out this morning and it started right up, but it then took us until 10:30 to get rolling.

Darn it!!!  :( I really wanted to be there when the boats and crews ended the Texas 200, but there is still hope for the mess about.

Lambert's Restaurant. Home of "throwed rolls". Menu about like Cracker Barrel, but portions are bigger. Rolls are home made yeast rolls, about the size of a softball. They walk around and if you don't have one in your hand, they throw one at you. The roll guy is followed by another guy with a quart can of molasses. He dumps that on your plate to go with your roll.  Then there the little girls who bring around the fried okra, hominy corn, possum grits and who knows what else to go with your ham steak, fried chicken, catfish or whatever it was you ordered. It's a load to handle. An opportunity to find out what a bloated tick feels like.

If you missed them on the way down, hit em on the way back. You may want to allow for some nap time after you get out.

Graham and crew are having a wonderful time. They have great winds at a broad reach and are leaving everyone far behind......including the Hobie!

Yesterday the trawler left about an hour earlier than everyone. Graham particularly enjoyed passing the power boat.

The Princess is doing very well. The CS 20 is being conservative and reefing and enjoying the ride and doing nicely and the CS 17 is surprising everyone.

Most impressive is the hospitality the Texans have shown.