First Boat

Chris Potts

I have always been interested in sailing but never really had the time to get into it. In a couple of months I am going to graduate from college (hopefully) and I thought that now is as good of a time as any. I was thinking that it would be fun to build my first boat. I have woodworking experience so that is not really the problem. My primary concern is what boat to build. I was wondering whether one of the core sounds woud be a good first boat. If you think they would be fine for a novice, which one would you recommend? Since I live in Michigan (near Detroit) I was wondering how the core sounds would do in the great lakes (wondering if the boat could handle it if I was experienced). Finally how would you recommend that I learn how to sail. I don't have any experience, and I would imagine that this in not something that I would want to learn by trail and error.

Thanks for all of your help

Chris

Building boats is great fun. Sailing a boat built with ones own hands is even better.

I recommend going sailing on lot of boats before attempting to build one. Getting to know what you like and not like in a boat would be a good place to start. Then you can find a design that fits your likes.

Obviously a few of us made this same same journey and ended up with B&B designed boats...

Mr. Potts,

There are several builders in the Detroit area. I have started on a Stevenson's designed Weekender. Easy to build in a garage. Expect to spend several months to get complete, even if you have the summer off to make sawdust.

John R

I have researched things a little more and think I am going to build the Spindrift 12 (the cat). It will take less time to build so I can get out on the water sooner. I would really like to have my own boat to practice in. I will likely want to go out more than anyone is going to want to take me. I am also really looking forward to building a boat so even if I decide I would like a different style boat it won't be a total loss. Thanks again for all of your responses.

Chris

They say that you can cartop a Spindrift. Can this really be done? It seems like it would require several people. I am thinking that it would be best to get a small trailer. What do you guys think?

All depends on how heavy you make it. A 12' boat can be car-topped, but if you build out of a heavy plywood, it will be very hard to get it up on top of the car. That means if you can afford it, buy marine okume plywood, which I think is the lightest of the marine plywoods. Much lighter than fir plywood, for instance.

If its just going to be you sailing most of the time, consider the Spindrift 10' ... its what Graham sails for fun. It weighs in at 80 to 95 pounds, where the 12' model can end up as heavy as 120. Its the one I chose, and if I ever get spare time again, its my next boat. I have the plans in my truck, where I drool over them at lunch from time to time. I'm hoping to start building when I get back from vacation in April.

Thanks Frank for the suggestion about the weight advantages of the Spindrift 10. I was thinking that the 12 would be better for me because of my height (6'4"). I read on another thread (http://www.messing-about.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26) where Graham said that larger people found the 10 to be a cramped. I thought that getting a small trailer for the 12 would be a good all around solution.

Does anyone have any pictures of the Spindrift 10 or 12 that they would like to share? I would really like to see some more pictures of these boats.

Chris

I am currently in the process of building a 12 footer, but have not yet begun construction. B&B will sell you a CD with a bunch of pictures for about $10, if I remember correctly. There were not very many and no finished Spindrift 12 pictures on the CD. I wanted a tender that could take a small moter, oars, and sail. The Spindrift 12 should do fine. I am also an older, rather rotund (fat) guy, that does not get around as well anymore. I plan to trailer her on a trailer which I reconditioned from another boat.

You might consider a Stevenson Mini-Cup. At 12' it is in your target area. I am building one as training for my Weekender. I've found the process to be rather inexpensive, fairly painless and a great amount of enjoyment. It is lateen rigged, centerboard and approximately (if what I've been told is true) 125 lbs hull weight. Plans are free at http://www.stevproj.com.

Whatever you decide, welcome to the community!

Ed in Memphis by the Mississippi

Guest designer Graham

Dear Chris,

After watching this thread, since I've been back up after our ISP got hacked - I thought maybe I should chime in here - hopefully, without sounding tooooo self-serving.

I think at your height and age, the Spindrift 12 would be a good choice. I doesn't take much more time to build than the 10 - it's not even proportionally more.

Depending on your car, you could cartop it - with a set of racks onyour vehicle. You can work out a system for loading single handed by coming up from the back with a little ingenuity. You height is a great advantage here. Or as you suggest you can get a little t railer to whip it around with (a flat be based one is most flexible ...this is an item that is also useful for other jobs, like hauling stuff to the dump) You just have bolt/screw on supports or cradle for the boat.

The 12' is a size that would be comfortable for you, and you will not grow out of it performance-wise. You can learn in it and then enjoy the challenge of sailing it better and better.

I guess the prospect of a "free" plan might look enticing, but you now have a sheepskin (or almost) that tells me you have gained enough knowlege to know that something for free might not be worth the price.

I mean if you were shopping for a car and someone said there was one free, you might expect it would not be a late model BMW hmmmm.

I know you can learn to sail this summer while you are building. I know we have a bunch of Spindrifts up your way (or they were built there - the way folks move around these days - who knows?) and we might be able to come up with an owner who would take you out for a sail and some lessons. It doesn't have to be the same model - but at least a quick romp on a 12 could be educational.

If you were going to be in this neck of the woods, I'd invite you by to sail a Spindrift. As we have several, they can make good training boats as I'll get you out in one and sail the other while yelling (hopefully) helpful suggestions (a la the team coach).

As you can see, from B&B you get a bunch of supportive fellow builders as well as help from the office here.

Graham!!

You are back!!

I almost phoned you yesterday to see if you all were doing ok. Maybe you can tell that I have missed seeing you online? I did see your msg a few weeks ago about the ISP being down. That is why I have not called sooner. Everything fine with you all?

Greg Luckett

Hi there, choosing a boat is a personal choice ... so opinions are as varied as there are sailors. As to learning to sail near Detroit, now that's something I can recommend. University of Michigan as a sailing club that sails out of Dexter, just north of Ann Arbor.

They provide two FREE introductory sailing lessons, and they teach both on the water Saturday mornings, and if you're interested, on shore on Saturday mornings and in class Thursday nights as well. They also have racing events every Sunday so you can hone your skills when you're ready. You don't need to be a student, and they have different price packages, all of which are very reasonable, and a few different boats:

Lasers, JY15's, a couple of slightly larger boats (dubbed party boats), canoes, kayaks, sailboards, and perhaps a couple of others ... they were thinking of selling off some older boats to update the fleet last I heard.

It's a good way to get a feel for sailing with very little expense. Once you pass a few practical tests, you can take out their boats any time the club is open, typically every evening and all weekend.

This is what got my wife hooked, and in turn cause her to agree to my building a boat in the first place.

U of M sailing Club!

Hi Chris,

Hey, a visit! It sounds like a very do-able thing! We are not that far from Harker's Island indeed. As the crow flys we are about 35 miles, but the crow flys over water, we humans have to drive around. It is more of a triangle - turning right instead of left from Hwy70 or say a 30 minute deviation. Anyway, there is plenty to see in this area, so if you chose to go Harkers, Vandemere, Harkers Is. it takes about 1 /34 hrs to 2 hours, but is a pleasant drive with a free ferry trip. Yes, everywhere here we go "around" water - but that is what makes it so darn nice here.

I've no doubt you will learn to sail pretty quickly. The basics are easy enough to grasp and experience can only be gained by the doing - even the best in the world on a constant learning curve - although the refinement bit they are on is a little less steep than the initial experience of "how d'ya make this thing go."

Looking forward to meeting you in person this spring/summer.

Graham

I'd like to add that learning to sail in a small boat has some definate advantages. You don't have to worry too much about damaging a boat you run into (although you'll worry about scratching your own!) The small wooden sailboat just doesn't have as much mass behind it to do much damage to the plastic behemoths out there. You're closer to the water, and if need be, can paddle your way back rather than calling for a tow.

Mainly, you'll wonder how on earth you missed all this. Its hard to explain, but getting a tiller in one hand and a main sheet in the other, and feeling the wind tug on the sail, and the rudder dividing the water is almost like magic. When the first puff fills my sail after motoring out to the center of the harbor, I almost always sigh, and smile like a lunatic all the time I'm out there. (Except for those brief moments of sheer panic, but we'll talk about those after you learn to sail!)