Hartley TS18

pr8head

These are nice boats. They have been around a long time. I was considering building one before finding the Belhaven.

I built a Penbscot 14 which is an Arch Davis design. One day when I was talking to Arch about if he had a cabined sailer on the drawing board I asked what he thought about the Hartly boats. Come to find out he worked for Hartly years ago unless I misunderstood him. He had nothing but good to say about the Hartly boats. It seems to be MUCH more popular in Austrias part of the world.

Clarkcraft actually sells not only plans but Frame kits for these boats if your in a hurry.

They are nice looking boats. SO keep us up to date with pic's.

Scott

pr8head,

Tim is correct! I built a Hartley just about 28 years ago when I lived in Florida. I built it in a garage that was about 3' longer than the boat, so it was a bit of a trial.

The boat is built in a classic manner and was not necessarily an easy build. She is a very nice boat to sail and was very comfortable for the type of sailing we did at the time.

I built her while my wife was pregnant with our son, John and we sailed her with infant son at first. Later we sailed with toddler John and infant Jennifer. The boat was quite stable and handled well. We loved it and it was often seen on the St. Lucie and Indan rivers near Stuart, Florida. We even sailed her out of the inlet into the Atlantic frequently (without the kids).

If you would like any information that I might remember, please ask. I'm not necessarily an expert, but I'll give it my best.

Steve

Hi pr8head

I was also looking at a Hartley until I discovered the Belhaven. However they have quite a good following in Australia. Here are some websites that might lead you to more info.

http://www.hartley-boats.com/

http://www.hartley-boats.com/18.html

http://www.trailer-sailer.com/

The one I redid for the kids was a Hartley 14....balasted by a half-inch plate steel centerboard:

37657497.jpg

But I added a hundred pounds of lead shot along side the trunk anyway, for comfort. Surprisingly stable little boat....all that beam and hard chines make for a comfortable ride.

An easy boat to sail....straightforward ply-on-sawn frame construction with shallow keel:

37657554.jpg

The plans go into little detail on the rig, however, leaving almost everything but sail size to the builder.

Looking at the plans, were I gonna build one from scratch, I'd make sure to sweeten all curves that the designers left cranked for ease of construction...one example is the plywood coaming...cranked in the plans, but faired here:

57769330.jpg

Bending plywood to that degree isn't easy....the technique the original builder used was to scarf the coaming to almost twice its finished length, bevel the lower edge, steam, fasten forward (size 16 screws thru the 1/4 ply trunk cabin into backer blocks) and bend it around, fastening it to the cleat mounted to the deck and frame shown below...then it was trimmed and finished in place:

57597751.jpg

The builder also added some deck camber and also some sheer that the boat's looks benefit from immensely:

57597765.jpg

Haven't seen the TS-18 plans, but another change I'd make is stepping the 18'+ mast....one squirrelly event done freehand.

I'd construct the cabintop mast step and mast crutch so the mast rides backwards when unstepped....then is slid forward on the step and the mast slot slid on the step's crossbolt. Then I'd mount the boom to the gooseneck, hold it on place with the topping lift, and raise the mast by pulling the boom sternwards using the winch while my partner on the cabintop steadies it and secures the forestay.

What a lovely boat! I've often admired the hartleys (coming from New Zealand as i do) They are standard fair down here. Leaky ones start around the $500 USD mark down here (about the same as it'll cost to build a Weekender)

The 18' is a hardy boat very seaworthy in the rough stuff and even to today will beat most plastic trailer sailer in plus 20knot winds. A good honest little cruiser built for Auckland's unpredictable Hauraki Gulf. The 18' is similiar in size to the Vacationer. Alot harder to build though, which is why I built a Stevenson boat.

• 5 years later...

If you know of anyone with a ship going from nz to where you are I've a couple of masts and booms plus the rigging and a couple of sets of sails for the Hartley 18.  Good on you for building her.  I wonder if it could not be stitched and glued?  Built using epoxy saturation would make her last nearly forever.  I believe mr Hartley used to suggest that if using marine ply epoxy wasn't required.