Waste no time!!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have just finished adding the coaming moulding and the raised coaming on the boat. DANG THING AIN"T BAD< OR SO SAY I, The rounded coaming with the deck crown added a scalloped shape that gave that old straight side some pezazzzzz................I gotta stop this madness and float this thing. I got the mast and sails done, with a little bit of varnish work :wink: left to do on it.

Well, last of the steps and pictures for the file, with just a little bit of varnishing left to do. :wink: the on going therapy in life. :D All parts are in place, and what it is is what it is runabout sailboat, here we come water. Seats will go in this week, outide rubrail, few bits of rigging and boat will go in the water for shake down, hopefully after the crazies leave next weekend, with the Memorial Day weekend. Idid some shots in the sun for viewing critigue.

Click twice for clarity.

post-0-129497640868_thumb.jpg

post-0-129497640875_thumb.jpg

post-0-129497640881_thumb.jpg

post-0-129497640887_thumb.jpg

Seven days, if the weather will have it :D:D:D

She will not be under sail, but will have salt under her belly!!! I gotta get the cinch cleats [carolina style] finished up and installed after just a weeeeebit of varnish :wink: sets up, you know. But will put it under power. I did order the EVAmerica electric power unit, but will not mess with that rigging till fall of the year. Did I say that I have plans to launch it next Tues, now?? Getting old is tough on several things including the mind. :cry: :cry:

Mike,

I take it that the electric setup will be an "inboard" style. Really a great idea and application.

For the Spindrift, I think the trolling motor will be the correct application, as it has to be quite portable.

That is a great website and source for information. Thanks for the tip.

Steve

Oh, I must say that the straight inboard rig is not for the faint at heart or a simple one day rigging job. This is one reason why I will not tackle this till winter for several reasons. I must make sure that this boat will do the job that I am asking it to do, and that is to cruise the ICW, and down to the remote banks for a weekend trip in some comfort for my wife and me. I have on tap another plan to build a bigger one, with a rigid trunk around 24 foot. I have a little bit of wood left in cedar that I do not plan on making firewood out of it. 8)

This package will also work for the larger hull. I just hold my nose when I am required to bolt a motor to the stern of this type boat, as it looks like a scab to me. There are other ways to do an auxillary power unit, with an outboard and that is the motor well just foward of my aft decking between the u-shaped seating layout that will be installed in this boat. But this requires the bottom to be altered with the hole and is only an alternative thought for me with this boat, right now. I will be trying the 3hp listed in this thread for now.

Well back to a wee bit of recoating of the bits of varnish. :wink:

Well the seats are roughed in and the centerboard has a solid venner, bookmatched cypress overlay. Tommorrow I will glue, seal and varnish one coat. I still have a bit of work for the aft seating, since I am undecided on the u- shape now. Double click for clarity.

post-0-129497641289_thumb.jpg

post-0-129497641297_thumb.jpg

Barry I doubt that some novice will take this project from me with the horror stories that circulate about wooden boats. :lol: We shall see what happens. THe local sailing group at the Beufort Maritime Museum may own her, since they have a fleet of Optimist prams and several plastic hulls, and have a lose connection with some other spritsails . I hope I have all summer to worry about it, though, before I decide to give it to them. :wink: . Its been a fun project for me. As we reach our older years, its not how much you do that counts, its what you do that is more important as anything else. I guess this can be measured in many ways for most folks. But doing something different in boats give me the satisfaction that fits my lifestyle and daily routines.

Mike,

I agree, it isn't about the project itself to me either, it is about what enjoyment and satisfaction I get from the process. The end result is always gratifying to me in one way or another, but the entire process is what means the most to me.

I know that you will find a good home for it. I do want to tell you I, for one have, really enjoyed peaking in on the process. Thank you for sharing with us. This project has been meaningful to me in a lot more ways than I can express on this forum. Nice to see inside another individuals process now and then just to enjoy it for the challenges and the obvious mental exercise.

No grass and no water under her belly yet, cause the weather has not allowed me to finish up on the cosmetics and for the test launch today. But soon this all shall come to pass. I placed my dummy sample board in place to check for rigging hardware placements and hole alignments for the pivot rod, and will transfer the points to the new on and attempt to finish up the paint and the flatten varnish work. I did end up with a ton of space for storage of the auxillery motor behind the aft seating, and even some added gear if the motor is not being carried there. I ran out of cypress and used two pieces of western red cedar palnking for the u shape seats, and that will be painted out, anyway. Thanks again for all of the kind words and support from this forum group. :)

Again, double click for clarity.

post-0-12949764137_thumb.jpg

post-0-129497641376_thumb.jpg

Mike,

That is a fine looking rig you have there! She looks like she should be tending Jack Aubry's HMS Surprise.

I doubt you will have trouble getting those folks to take her, just find a good home where someone will take proper care of her. She should be in "Bristol" condition all of the time.

I hope I'm going to be able to see her "in the flesh" sometime.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I decided to go all out with a weighted centerboard. Well, being the scrounger that I am, I decided to go the redneck backwoods way and create my own "Nascar" centerboard with wheel weights. I figured they were just the right size for inlaying into the second hand piece of plywood,[i know you ain't suppose to use plywood] glassed it with two layers of 1208 biaxall on one side, and then flipped it over and routed out the area that was needed to receive the right amount, :roll: [who knows the right amount] :lol: just about ten lbs, according to all my pencil and plywood computer on hand for the computations.

Any how, so I proceeded to flatten out the curved wheel weights, since they do need to be curved to fit the rims, and then flattened out the clips and cleaned them up with a bit of acetone, and dried fitted them and then removed them. I then mixed up a bit of epoxy, slurry mixed it with rough sawdust cuttings from my table saw, and layed a thin layer on the left layer of plywood on the glassed side, then layed the wheel weights carefully back into position. Actually I was so good at it that it required a handfull more to fill in the complete space.

Then I mixed up a bit more epoxy, thickened it with some more rough sawdust, and poured that in and smoothed that across the weights till I had the small voids all but filled in and glassed it with a layer of chopped matt [i know don't use it] and then covered it with a layer of finish cloth to smoothe it out. Then tommorrow I will glass the complete side with two layers of biaxall and do the edges in the last stage of glass work.

If desired a clearer picture, click two times on the shots.

post-0-129497641644_thumb.jpg

post-0-129497641651_thumb.jpg

post-0-129497641658_thumb.jpg