Advise on the use of a Laser radial sail on a Spindrift 11'

Captain Tim

My plan is to use a Laser radial sail for my Spindrift 11' non nesting and would like to hear from any and all that have tried this or have thought of trying it. The sail that is made for her looks sweet but sometimes you have to use what is laying around.

I built a Spindrift 10n and specifically equipped it to use a Laser rig. I’ve only sailed with the full Laser rig but I think the radial would be a good choice. Double handed with good sailors the full rig is a blast, but single handed with a full rig is a little much when it’s really blowing. You don’t want to get overpowered and capsize. The problem with the nesting version is side flotation when you capsize- the hull does float but sinks down much lower into the water so when you right the boat it’s pretty much full of water. Bailing as fast as you can won’t do much if there’s a lot of chop. I plan on mitigating this by adding two flotation chambers to the bow section to help this problem. A non-nesting Spindrift should have enough flotation on the sides to prevent this however.

So obviously I like the idea of using a Laser rig, and I think a Radial is a good fit. The upsides are that you can use a great rig you may already own and can get parts and sails cheaply and easily. Laser sails from Intensity are around $200, which is great. Downsides? Pretty much all the stuff you don’t like about a Laser rig already. The traveler can be a pain, the clew hook can unhook at just the wrong moment too. The biggest issue compared to Graham’s design is that there is no easy way to reef the sail if the wind picks up. Just like a Laser. So if you’re cool with all that go for it, which is what I did too.

13 hours ago, Captain Tim said:

I guess if I would have looked around the forum a little more I never would have had to ask the question. So much great information here.

This is a live forum, not an encyclopedia. Never balk at asking a question just because some one else might have asked it before. You might need info not in the last version or direct answers to your situation. By all means, search the forum, but then ask your question.

• 1 month later...

Inspired by Sailing Florence who found a broken carbon mast for The Machine, their Spindrift 9n, I recently picked up a Carbon fiber 570 windsurfer mast, which is pretty much the exact length of the Laser Radial mast. I have one old Radial sail, which is in pretty good condition. I'll do another post later in more detail when I start that project. Is the mast even strong enough? We'll see- it's designed to have a clip on boom, so I need to build a gooseneck- oh yeah, and a sailboat boom to go with it. I sold my Laser a while ago and the boom went with it. I plan on making the rig reefing according to Graham's plans, so... a halyard and reefing points? For a Laser rig? Sure. The whole thing will be an experiment anyway and I can always go back to the normal Laser mast if I want.

Any updates, Captain Tim? I'm in California but I'm taking my Spindrift to Bar Harbor this summer, so we'll probably drive right through Portsmouth on our way.

Starboard,

Thanks for your shout out.

Spindrift 11' is my build videos.

I would like to think I will be moving along faster as the temperature gets higher.

I'm easy off, easy on the highway to Maine. You are more than welcome to stop and take a look.

I'm happy to give directions. 9 Staysail Way.

Captain Tim,

We love Portsmouth- we stayed there a two years ago on our way to Maine. Great town! This spring we'll be driving cross country and only have 5 or 6 days to do it, so we'll wave from the bridge. I hope we can get back a few weeks later if we do a run to NH for some big ticket purchases.