stonefly skinned and painted

patrice cler

hi.i skinned my stonefly with the 6oz polyester:no experience with other fabric,so i can t compare

the 6oz is very smooth and easy enough to stretch(my lady did the bad job pulling and getting blisters while,on the other side of the boat,i was gently stapling).i got a lot of wrinkles due probably by the wrong stapples(the square end one)but i did get rid of them later with a little ironing :the skin got really tight as a drum

i am not very proud of the painting though:after 5coats,it still is looking kind of goose skin.to bad for me.

now i ve got to wait a week or so,to let the paint getting hard.

i am getting a little nervous now,the weather is really fair,and in a few weeks,it will be a little to crowed on the lake,unless a go paddling at 5 in the morning.

see you next

post-5539-0-37252600-1465578413_thumb.jpg

post-5539-0-78922300-1465578474_thumb.jpg

post-5539-0-73212900-1465578533_thumb.jpg

I want to know who it was that decided that perfectly sprayed really shiny paint over a perfectly smooth surface is what should be desired.  I like semi-gloss to be honest.  It looks better a year or 2 later than any finish on a boat that is actually used.  Then make it even harder by having to paint on fabric.  When I look at an SOF kayak I look at the combing and frame, that is what makes these boats beautiful to me.  Well, that and how little they weigh.  Mine look great while I am carrying them around or loading them onto the rack of my truck.  With a canoe you see all of the frame, and I hardly even see the paint job at all.  She looks great.

I think it looks great! I hear people all the time talking about 'filling the weave', that is trying to make the paint smooth. These are boats covered in fabric, they are not glass, wood, or some other smooth material and they are supposed to look like fabric.  I think you boat looks great and your workmanship looks might good too!

thanks all for your words:sure i really like this boat,light and graceful .and once she is in water i won t see that much this paint,and probably will be happy that it keep me safe and dry

another thing:i know it s a long way away from the state,but if someone happens to pass by,make a stop home,i ll be happy to show you the place around.