Frame weight

GPStick

Considering that Jeff sent his sinus stuff north to me (at least that's my story) I'm pleased with the progress.  The bow is laced up and I'm back to the stern stem.  But my forearm muscles are screaming trying to squeeze the fabric together and I need more than i have to work out the compound curves at the stern.  Did anyone else have trouble there?  If I lift, pull and squeeze too much there are wrinkles on the top, if I don't they end up down the back.  I've pulled the lacing out twice and I'm done for today.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW, I can finally upload some photos.  The shrinking went very well.  At first I wasn't sure but I just slowed down the iron and let it heat a little more.  First time I have done this without wetting out the fabric before ironing.   I will admit to a few holes in the stitching by being too aggressive with the thread.  Will have a better feel next time.  Have the Lexall on hand.  Need it for the hatch rims anyway.  Holes are melted for the deck rigging and hardware is on the workbench.  Finally made a paint decision but you all just have to wait. ;)

post-1192-0-42304200-1363976180_thumb.jpg

Went ahead and installed the seat back.  Did a variation on the book as I just wasn't content with screws.  Found a type of T nut with out teeth and thru bolted.  Used the caulk to seal up.  My rope lip looks pretty good to me.  Like the black so all deck lines will be black.  It was easy to do and I decided not to attach the seat back to the rope like I had originally thought.

post-1192-0-75731200-1363976263_thumb.jpg

Just a shot of the skin shrunk out.

No, stick with the iron.  Even that needs to be kept moving but not quickly.  I have used the heat gun on nylon and the last time almost lost the skin.  This material is not as tough.  The iron will work really well, just have to find the touch.  And you'll see it when you do.

• 2 weeks later...

Good, the hull has almost 2 weeks now what with 1 coat per day.  Putting on lines now and painters.  Then the rub strips. 

BTW, how did you anchor the tubing to the floatation bags?  The valve is easy to find but the connection to the bag isn't.

I intended to do a write up on making float bags. But I got my idea for attaching the valve from Tom Yost. Works like a champ!

http://www.yostwerks.com/FloatbagC.html

http://www.yostwerks.com/FloatbagD.html

I have looked and looked and there is nothing that works better than this.