fishman38 OK20

Fishman38

I am using the mix that Graham sells which I understand is his own proprietary recipe.

I don't know that it is proprietary, but the price he sells it for vs. buying the colloidal silica and wood flour to mix it up yourself is worth it, considering the quantities a single boat builder will use.  It is a good mix for gluing and fillets.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I just pasted down the last strip of fiberglass, that is until I start building the console, which I think, until someone tells me otherwise should be glassed.  

Steve I've been slow about posting updates because 1, progress is slow and tedious and 2, even with progress nothing much changes as far as the way she looks.  That will be changing soon. 

I have an 86 year old friend who has helped me with this build since it started whenever there's something he can help with.  I once said to him "Bob, if you see something I'm doing wrong speak up if you know a better way"..... he said "son I flew airplanes".  Lately he has been doing the sanding etc getting the interior sides ready for paint, a tremendous help to me.  I hate sanding!  BTW, between the two of us we have 162 yrs of experience.........unfortunately, none of it has been in building boats.... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Hightech.  Fine looking work on your build as well, including one or two features about which I'd like to know the methodology used.  For instance, how do you so accurately locate the holes in the sole to allow access to the chase(s)?  All the ways I can think of to do it seem very crude and seem to require a lot of "guesstimation"!  Is it just a matter of establishing a couple of reference points and careful measuring to determine the center of the hole?

Ahhh Fishman don't over think it. It is like cutting the electrical box out in sheetrock. Just measure as you put the pieces down and make them big. I don't like covers that stick up. I made the holes in the sole material. Put down the fiberglass then ran a 3/8" rabbeting bit around the edge. This creates a ledge for the cover to sit in. For a cover I used 1/4" G-10 a solid fiberglass plate that you can buy at McMaster Carr. I will glue the plate in with silicone. I should be able to get them out if I ever need to,The G-10 paints really well and should blend in nicely. If you use this method you should be sure to seal the opening in the plywood. There are plastic deck plates available that you can use instead of my method. I find they break and stick up and are usually on the smaller side. Hope this helps

• 1 month later...

Haven't posted in a while.  Still keeping up with your build.  Nice console, I like the foot rest.  Should have done something similar on mine.  She is looking good.

Dave

Good to hear from you Dave.  I'm at the stage where progress is slow and whatever progress I do make doesn't show very well in pictures.  Most of the problems I have aren't of a sort that can easily be phrased as a question, nor can a solution be easily proposed.  Just things I have to sort out in my own mind.  Things such as where to put the batteries and how to wire them.  I'll have an (electric) trolling motor on her which means a minimum of three batteries, etc,etc.  Those  are the reasons I'm not posting very frequently these days.  I put off gluing the sole down as long as I could to try to make sure I wasn't forgetting to do something that could not be done afterwards.  Have started that process now and other than flipping the hull, it is the only thing I've run into which for me is absolutely a two man job.  So I have to do that sort of on my son's schedule, who likes to help but who has a wife, a couple of teenagers and a job which doesn't leave much time for much else. (my other helper is in the process of moving and has an ailing wife)  Thanks for the comment on the console.  I work on that and the pedestal (which is going to be one of a kind....it'll be a single seater) in my spare time. Think both are going to work out ok.  If not those can be easily rebuilt I think.  I'll post pictures of the pedestal (leaning post) when it gets a little further along.  

Jerry 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for asking Steve.  Sorry to take so long to respond, just haven't checked in in a while. Yes all is fine, except for a pinched nerve in the right shoulder that showed up a couple months ago, and god-awful weather for the last 3-4 weeks, both of which has slowed progress even further than normal.  Due to the limited space in my shop I usually move either the tools or the boat outside to make room to work.  Since I started building the console and pedestal, they take up even more floor space and there haven't been many dry days the last month.  I never complain about the rain though because out here we need every drop to keep enough water in the lakes to float a boat!  This year though it is getting a little old.  :(   I am getting some work done though and will post more pictures soon.

• 3 weeks later...