Oars for CS20 (attn Ray)

wkisting

Good eye, Roger. That's a Boulevard C-50. I love it. With the warm GA weather, it's possible to ride 10 - 11 months out of the year.

Re-painted the interior of the CS20 tonight so she looks like new again. There were a few places that have needed touching up for awhile (a few nicks in the paint from our first launch last September), so I decided just to give it all a fresh couple of coats again.

We tried putting on vinyl registration letters on the bow tonight, but to my surprise, they just won't stick. The VC Performance paint we used is Teflon impregnated, so all I can figure is that the teflon is preventing the vinyl from sticking, since they stick fine to any other surface. So now I may have to make trailboards for hanging the numbers at the bow, but I'm not totally sold on that idea yet. Anyone else tried that?

Thanks for all the baby name suggestions. Anna and I like "Isabella" for a girl's name--and we do think it will probably be a girl, though it's still too early to tell for sure.

So now I may have to make trailboards for hanging the numbers at the bow, but I'm not totally sold on that idea yet. Anyone else tried that?

I did just that for my Renegade.  I think registration numbers are ugly and didn't want to apply them to my newly restored and painted topsides.  I keep the boards in my hanging locker to bring out when I go sailing.  Hmmm, come to think of it, I never remember to bring them out. They have been in the hanging locker for 4 years now, and the only time they came out was to update the sticker.  Some day I will remember to bring them out.  OK, maybe not.  Oh well, they are there should DEM ever stop me to inquire about my registration.

Congratulations on the upcoming addition to your family.  That was good advice about sailing a lot now.  For some reason children seem to change your priorities and limit your free time.

Yep, we ended up making trailboards. Just finished them last night and attached them this morning in time for our trip to Beaufort, SC (we leave in an hour!).

Thought you might like to see how they turned out in case anyone else is contemplating trailboards. Also, you can see our recently installed mahogany rub rails, which came out very nicely also.

This will be our first sail-outing since we made these changes: (1) installed rub rails, (2) installed trailer keel rollers, (3) installed trail boards w/ reg number, (4) built a set of oars, (5) repainted interior, and (6) bought a pair of white rubber mats for better traction in the cockpit. It is like a different boat now!  :)  It's been a hot and busy couple of weeks of work, but the boat finally looks finished.

We'll post some pics of sailing on the Beaufort coast when we get back.

Yep, the boat name is "Second Wind".  Anna designed a nice transom logo with the name, but the Teflon-impregnated VC paint won't let it stick, so we'll have to make a board for the transom logo just as we did for the registration numbers.

We had a nice trip to Beaufort, SC this week. What a great little town. We had a chance to sail on Tuesday. Set sail right from town at 10:15 a.m. The motor wouldn't run (bad gas, I think), so it was lucky we made oars before the trip or we wouldn't have felt comfortable sailing very far from the take-out. We sailed directly into a light headwind blowing up the cove from 10:15 - 2:30, tacking back and forth out to Port Royal where it meets the Atlantic. We averaged 1.8 - 2.2 knots at first, but as the wind picked up later, we made about 3 - 4 knots into the wind.

Around 2:30, dark clouds started blowing in and the wind increased to 10 knots. Waves built to about 3 feet out in the sound, so we turned back and went wing-and-wing straight back up the sound at 6 - 7 knots. At the higher speed and dead-straight course, we were all the way back near the launch in under and hour. Then, turning up the cove to the retrieval dock, we were dead-on into the wind again with no room to tack. I had to bust out the oars for a brutal 200 yard row to the dock in about 2 feet of water at low tide. Had to take the mainsail down completely to reduce windage, but then the oars worked a treat.

We were off the water at about 4 p.m. Beautiful day of sailing. We really fell in love with Beaufort while we were there.

A few pics of the sailing, including one of our stern wake at 7.5 knots... looks like we have a motor going.  :)

Yep, I made the mistake of using gas from the 5-gallon can I keep in the garage for the lawnmower. It's treated with Sta-bil, but it's probably a year old now and definitely at the end of its usable life despite the stabilizer. Should've kept it for the lawnmower only, but I wasn't thinking. Sta-bil is good stuff, but the openings on a 4-stroke are so tiny and so easily-clogged that I really shouldn't be putting anything but totally fresh gas in the outboard.

I bought a separate re-fill can for the outboard now. It's only 1.25 gallon capacity, so that I'll be forced to freshen it more often. I also plan to get in the habit of draining the carb bowl when the motor won't be run again for more than a week or two. I should've done that anyway, and I think that's what contributed to the problem. I'm going to try the Startron additive for the outboard, since a few people have told me that it works as effectively as Sta-bil and also can de-gum a motor almost as effectively as carb cleaner, but without the harsh detergents most other additives include (Startron uses enzymes instead). Should be easier on the rubber hoses if nothing else.

Now that we have the oars made, we may start leaving the motor home anyway, since we really barely ever use it.