Florida 120

ScottWidmier

The idea for the Florida 120 grows out of the Texas 200.  Basically, it is a raid with the objective for everyone entered to finish the course.  Each night is a predetermined stopping point which allows for some socializing plus a safety check on how everyone is doing.  Wonderful opportunity to grow your navigation skills!

The route for the Florida 120 will be from Perdido Bay to Santa Rosa sound. Tentatively, we will launch from a marina in Wolf Bay and return to that marina so no shuttle needed. This also means we will have windward work hence the 120 miles rather than 200! The itinerary is:

Day 1: Wolf Bay to Sand Island in the Big Lagoon.

Day 2: Big Lagoon to Navarre area on Santa-Rosa sound.

Day 3: Navarre to Sailboat Cove on the Big Lagoon.

Day 4: Sailboat Cove to Wolf Bay.

Each day is between 30-40 miles with places where we can pitch tents on the beach each night. The big question is if we can find a beach past Navarre or camp on the beach at Gulf Shores national seashore. If the latter is the case, then we will make up the distance by plotting a circular course.

One advantage/disadvantage (depending on how you look at it) of this area is there are a lot of recreational boaters around and a significant part of the trip, from Pensacola Beach to Navarre, will have road access to the beach. This means, if anyone has to abort for any reason it isn't that far back to civilization, a road, and your trailer. This is protected water sailing with a handy beach to park your boat should the weather turn nasty.

There will be four classes within which you can finish the Florida 120 challenge each with its own "I done it" shirt and plaque. This is in part to keep people coming back and to encourage people to ween themselves off motors and/or to go in smaller boats.

Class 1: Motorless

Anyone who does the challenge without a motor in or on the boat.

Class 2: Motor Contingency

For people who have motors in or on their boat but do not use them for the entire course...some may ask why these two classes? However, there is a huge mental difference between having motor as backup and not having a motor at all.

Class 3: Limited Motor

For people who use their motor within 300 yards of the nightly stopping points. Especially needed for those with larger boats

Class 4: Unlimited Motor

Just like it sounds...those who want to accompany us and do the challenge but want to use their motor rather than bob n bake or want to do the challenge in a motorboat.

I would prefer if people would committ to one of the four classes at the beginning and not switch during the challenge. This encourages planning and perserverance on the part of the people signed up for the challenge.

As a side note: When I have done the BEER cruise in Pensacola area with my 26' boat I think I would have qualified for Class 3. I probably could have done it as a class 2 if I have had the extrinsic motivation. One nice thing about the coast is reliable winds!

I have started a discussion over on the Texas200 forums (http://www.texas200.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=213) since I consider the Texas 200 the "parent" of this idea.

Scott,

It appears that I can get my boat under the Pensacola Beach Bridge, so I can go as far as the Navarre Bridge, but I cannot get under it. I could do this in my boat and might be available. It might be fun to participate, if you guys would have a bigger boat come along. I'll make sure I bring my Spindrift along, so I could still say "I built it" when someone asks. ;)

Steve

Steve, where I am hoping to stop for the night in Navarre is just on the other side of the bridge.  Supposedly, there was an old park there that got destroyed by a hurricane.  All I know is there is an empty beach that we might be able to camp at.  Anyway, you could just as easily pull up to the dock in front of Juanas on the other side of the bridge and be a short stroll away from where we are.  Of course, the other option is to stop at gulf shores national seashore if we can't find a place in Navarre.

BTW, how big is your boat?  I went under the Navarre bridge just fine with my 26' sailboat and can't remember it even being a tight fit. 

Craig, 

I was wondering about the origins of the term "raid".  Is that what you're asking?   I found the following explanation at

www.smallboatforum.com/PDFfiles/RaidBoats.pdf

"So what is a Raid Event anyway? About a 1000 years ago a raid involved the Norse people or Northmen

http___www.smallboatforum.bmp