If YOU Had It To Do Over Again-What Would YOU Do Different??

Ken_StJohn

...and one other thing to consider with spreaders is (in therory) the stay angles must be the same from the spreader tips. That can require some tricky buisness.

I chose to make the mast longer and have the stays attach further up. That cures the interface with the gaff jaws.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well - here i go again jumping into the fray!

my particular set up can in no way be anything but stronger than fastening to the mast - again it isn't super pretty but the force would have to be strong enough to sheer angle iron to break the spreader - the through bolt is just for stability...it is really the U-bolt that holds the thing to the top and i check that for tightness before i lift the mast EVERY time.

as far as the angle for the chainplates - i that was done with a vice and a protractor - so, it isn't an exact science to begin with eh?

Also - another thing i did was use a single piece of cable for each side stay...it is swagged at the top on a thimble but it is a single piece on each side that goes up - loops around a thimble and comes down.

Arnie:

CouerD'lane is just beautiful - I bet that was fun (except the spreader failure) I've only been there once but it is quite memorable.

I have no desire to sail in the kind of wind that puts the rail in the water. For me it is a chilled out recreation - plus, i take my dog with me and so safety is my prime concern.

Which brings me to my latest mod - a swim ladder permanently mounted on the transom - again, function over form.

a.

Hey everyone! Been a while.

First thing I would change would be to NOT SELL THE DAMN THING! I still miss it.

I would build the vacationer rather than the weekender and I would change the keel very significantly and add about 200 pounds of ballast in it. I would explore multi-chine sides rather than hard chine. I would go tiller rather than wheel. I would build in a real electrical system rather than think about it after the build is complete. I would add deadeyes, ratlines, and topmast. I would use much better grades of wood.

Most of all I would slow WAY down in the construction and enjoy the process for as long as possible. That's what I miss the most.

Come to think of it, I do have the plans to the vacationer laying around somewhere......

Russ Sylvester (Soon to be Capt. Russ)