New Forums

Frank Hagan

messing-about.com outgrew its old server, and we were close to having to pay for bandwidth (expensive). In addition, the forum software was slow, and getting harder and harder to maintain once we got over 2000 messages. In looking for a new host, I found some who would not allow the old software to be installed on their systems. Hmmm ... I took that as a hint.

So we switched to phpBB software for the forums, and our new host provides us with a faster server, more web space, and a few other nice features (in fact, we were the first site on their newest server). I know some of you don't like the "flat file" style of these forums, but I tried to find one that had the feature set we needed, and was cheap enough for me to install. phpBB is open source, and free, and we have picture uploading (for registered members), smileys, "bbcode" for formatting messages, and some other nice features.

Many features require that you register, but you can still read, post and reply without registering. Registration is easy enough. You have to provide your email to register, but it isn't sold and won't be displayed ... someone has to click a link to get to it, preventing the spam robots from harvesting it. Registration will also allow you to post pictures in our gallery and, when its available, put up your own home page in our My Home Port section.

The last 2200 messages from the old Main Forum have been imported, but some of the older ones didn't make the transition. The slower forums, including the B & B Yacht Designs Forum were imported on Jan. 10, so the newest messages there are that old. Same with the Design Forum and Classifieds.

Finally, check the home page, and the new format of the Weekender, Small Boats and Gaff Rig Pages (some still under construction!)

Soon, I'll have the new "bookstore" up, with the top 100 boat building books of all time. And new gift items in our Gift Shop for those of you who want to support the site.

As always, feel free to enjoy the forums. I hope the new format will grow on you, and it won't interfere with the comraderie we've had over the last two years. :D

Questions:

(a) How do you post a picture(s) so they appear with the posted message, such a Gordie has done .

(B) How do you post 2 or 3 pictures with a single posting? There appears to be a single "site" available with the "attachment" procedure.

The last couple of times I tried to attach a line sketch, (jpeg 240 x 450 ), I got an "error" message and that my posting would , "Be Stored" ???

A "guru" I'm NOT !

:roll:

Questions:

(a) How do you post a picture(s) so they appear with the posted message' date=' such a Gordie has done .

(B) How do you post 2 or 3 pictures with a single posting? There appears to be a single "site" available with the "attachment" procedure.

[/quote']

You're finding the "Add an Attachment" box below the message box (when you are entering a message) right? You can add up to three in series in that box ... put in the filename or click "Browse" to find it on your computer, and a File Comment if you want, then click the "Add Attachment" button. Then, after the screen refreshed, add another one in.

The last couple of times I tried to attach a line sketch, (jpeg 240 x 450 ), I got an "error" message and that my posting would , "Be Stored" ???

A "guru" I'm NOT !

:roll:

Hmmm ... I don't know! Did the picture show up with the post?

The upload feature has some limits set on the size of the picture you can upload, the size that it will display, and the types you can upload. Jpeg files are fine. It can be up to 200k in size, with a maximum dimension of 800 x 600 pixels. So you are fine there.

Finally, if the pic is at or above 640 x 480 in size the picture won't show, but it will "store it" on the server and provide a link for people to click to see the pic. I can configure this for any size picture, so if the forum gets too slow with pictures, we can provide just links to pictures.

But none of these seems to fit your picture. Try posting it again in this thread and lets see what happens.

ok, looks as though you got the link stuff to work yourself...

I took the photo you sent and just placed it on my desktop then...

1.) hit post reply

2.) add the suject line

3.) add main message

4.) under "filename" at the bottom, click browse, find the file and click open

5.) click "add attachment"

6.) submit

it worked here ok, you want to try it again from your end?

b.

Thanks Bill,

I don't have "clue one" what was going on ! The first was oversized, I didn't realize the 600 x restriction, but thereafter I kept downsizing and still "zip". Then...... out of the blue, and after you posted it, I gave it another shot , and "Wham", there it was .

I then posted another pic that was just on the border, size wise, and not a hitch !

Thanks for the help with this gremlin.

....... Graeme :wink: