Flatting enamel paint?

Scott Dunsworth

I have bought rustoleum marine primer and their marine top coat (modified alkyd) in semi-gloss white. I am going to use this on the topside above the rub rail.

Below the water line and two inchs above it I have used an epoxy bottom paint. Now here is my problem :? I will use the rustoleum marine primer above the water line and since they didn't have the color in the marine topcoat that I wanted. I decided to use regular rustoleum enamel here. But I can only fine it in gloss. Does anyone know how I can flatten this gloss to a semi-gloss?

I emailed rustoleum and got no reply. :(

Scott

I called rustoleum and they have no flatting agent nor do they recommend any. I give up!

Tomorrow I will spray the last coat of primer on. That will make four coats sanded inbetween and some laquer putty to touch up a few little spots.

Tuesday I will spray the gloss and hope my work can stand it. :shock:

And if it can't I will sand the sheen off and spray the semi gloss white I have.

If I had not already bought the rustoleum marine products I think I would have called Kirbys. Their paint is very reasonably priced and I have heard they really help you through the process of painting your boat. I just totaly forgot about them. :(

Thanks for the suggestions but I don't want to play chemist right now :wink:

Scott

Now Scott, don't knock it till you have tried it. Don't go away frustrated, just try the alternative if you wish for a semi gloss paint. I am a big believer in the semi gloss in my wood projects and find it very pleasent to the eye and easy to maintain.

Try a sample piece on plywood after a good coat of primer.

Like Oyster said above. ;)

The reason the paint companies won't (or don't) resommend it is because they do not sell it for one. In excess, it will change the chenistry of the paint (you won't be doing that).

I had the same delema with the paint I sprayed on the mini. The wouldn't recommend any thinner for me. I used what I thought best and it worked out fine. When I told the saleperson what I had done, then (and only then) did he agree that could be done. CYA for the most part. ;) ;)