Sailing reports

Tim Diebert

Ditto, but they only took out one of my new lights. Evil or Very Mad It is on my to do list. Rolling Eyes

Well, the trailer was bad enough, now I see that they rubbed the back quarter panel of the truck as well. double :evil:

Oh well.

I have the trailer re-fitted and it should make retrieval much easier. I re-located the winch further forward and put a separate support for the bow stop.

I also drilled a hole in the cockpit (under my seats, which are open) and installed a floor drain. This will make it much easier to clean up after our 'windless' voyages. :) Of course when I drilled the hole, it landed right on the bunk. :roll: I had to riase the boat and cut off a bit of the bunk, but no problem. :)

Presently looking for a long shaft outboard. I figure in the 4-6hp range will do it. An acquantance said she has a relative with several hundred in a warehouse. We will have to wait and see about that. :roll: :roll:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought a 4 hp Johnson, long shaft. Have to work on the mount a bit and then I will be ready to go out and try it again. :) :) Good price and the guy was only about 4 miles away! :D Even better, he may want to buy the other 2 electrics I have (not counting the one currently on the boat).

Anybody know the mix ratio for one of these? 1983 2 cyl. I was told 50:1, but that seems a little rich on the oil to me. It runs fine but smokes to beat teh band. He and I are thinking the mixture was too rich.

They don't breed in salt water but they damn sure will hang around it. I've been doing the friday night rum racing with a yacht club a couple miles south of where we dock. During the race one of the marks is close to shore and the race is usually two laps around. During the first lap (while the sun is still barely up) there's no problem. The second time around (right about dusk) you get swarmed with the blood suckers. It's fun to watch other crews go nuts trying to get away from the little vampires right up until it's our turn in the blood bank. Then it sucks, literally.

BTW, I run 100:1 in my Yamaha 4hp.

Russ

it will smoke all the mosquitos away.

But skeeters don't live on salt water........... They'll think I'm a 'stink-potter'. :shock:

Think??????Maybe the mosquitos have been reading this forum. :P

I had an '84 7 hp Johnson that called for 50:1. One of my neighbors has an '82 4 hp Johnson that calls for the same. My Johnson smoked quite a bit too on that mix but it never gave me any trouble. Neighbor's smokes a lot too. But it is like a Timex. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking. :lol:

As long as it keeps on running and I don't have to paddle any more, I'll be happy that you have it. :roll:

Midnight to 2 AM return back to the ramp. :roll: Wouldn't have bothered me much but I think it might have bothered the better half of Capt. Jake's relationship at home. :wink:

We had a destination planned. About a 12 mile total distance with our jaunt to explore the Nisqually flats. Planned on Steilecoom as a destination and a return on the flood tide to keep us moving with the currents.

Of course, we had an unrealistic expectation of wind according to the marine forecasts and the weather front moving in also led us to believe that we would at least see air moving. We had the tide with us going out, expected to have the tide with us coming back. Nothing wrong with the planning. Just that Mother Nature had an unheard voice in it. :wink:

We'll do it again, with Steilacoom as a destination. Just not get caught short with out sufficient power reserve to get us home without paddling. Just underscores the need to have two batteries for electric trolling motors. We had only one, the second one would have brought us home with power to spare, even working against the tidal flow as we were.

But everyone has to do it sometime. I'm just glad I didn't have to do it in a much larger boat. But then if we had been in a larger boat, we most likely wouldn't have had the issue to begin with. :roll:

Ah...time to build a bigger boat. :D

I was going over to Harbor Town for lunch and expected to make the ~18-20 mile run in 5 hours one way with the predicted winds. Got to the almost 40% point making only 3 knots. Gave up there and spent the rest of the afternoon on the home end of the bay. Winds never over 10 kt. Sure could have used the lapper and topsail. The little plastic boats with 5000 sq ft of sail walked right away from me. Damn! I had the mate shovel more coal on the sail but it didn't do any good. :cry:

Don't you hate it when that happens.

That is why it is nice to have too much sail now and again...for those light days. Something I too am working on.

I shared one area of my lake with a Thistle one evening a couple of years ago. Talk about too much sail. :shock:

http://www.sailingtexas.com/sthistlec.html

There was almost no wind....a breath...I was doing nothing and this guy was all over the area. Super light boat with 200+ square feet of sail will do it every time. There was not a single reef point on that sail either....

I did sail with this chap a few weeks later...on my boat....and he was revelling in how relaxing it was. He also told me about the time he got blown to the extreme south end and up onto the beach because he could not control the boat in any point of sail but dead downhill...it was blowing pretty hard he said...and could not round up or the boat would go over.

He needed some heavy friends to sail with him I guess. I keep my heavy friends locked in a box on my cabin sole....soon to be liberated to a lower point under the boat. :D

It looked pretty cool the way that boat slipped along at 3-4 knots in barely a ripple....but I am sure things become pretty interesting when the breeze freshens to a level where I am just starting to have fun, he is trying not to get dumped or have a heart attack. :lol:

Thanks for all of the help. It turns out it is 50:1. I felt pretty stupid after I posted that the other night, as I have a hard time with ratios. So with that in mind; how many oz/gallon to get the 50:1 mixture???? It will probably come to me tonight at 0200. :shock:

I got an adjustable mount installed today. Picked it up for $40 (used) at the local repair shop. :)

I am itching to finish my spars and make the sails, but, I have to finish Tom's top first. We have been busy as hell and haven't got much done on it. He was hurt last week so he will not be able to participate in the finish. I sanded the last of the primer tonight so a bit more prep tomorrow night and it will be ready for the top coat. This Allgrip is nice stuff but a pain in the ass to do if not sprayed. Rolling a tipping a big job is a real test of patience. 8)