Race Declared

Mark Gudschinsky

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say if it is reusable that it has some value greater than garbage. How much depends on its condition. How does it look to you? How big is it? What sort of material is it made from? Could it be from pirate ship sails? That would add historical value.

How hard was it to recover from the water?

I thought you had already won that race. You beat Sam and Ben to the first expedition.

As we understand it, the race now is the treasure hunt, which is not over until the end of the boating season, probably your's since it is shorter. Then we will all tell what was found and discuss which treasures are the best. Expedition stories are part of this treasure hunt too and will help you boys plan next seasons adventures.

If another boat helps you get an object the race is over.

Doesn't this already disquailify you then? :shock: Better have this defined more precisely, don't you think? :) I suggest that any recovery must be made from the Amphora using its gear and equipment and its own crew.

Also, Alexander, the rules need to be agreed on by all parties before they are rules. Does that sound fair to you. :) I want you boys to have fun with this race and hope there is a spirit of fun and cooperation with the ways and means of competition. How does that sound?

We did set up some rules at the beginning, not too complicatied, and rather broad in scope. That was done on purpose in order not to squelch the enthusiasm you boys have for this race and to be the source of some very interesting negotiations between you. :lol: Perhaps this is the beginning?

Doesn't this already disqualify you then? :shock: Better have this defined more precisely' date=' don't you think? :) I suggest that any recovery must be made from the Amphora using its gear and equipment and its own crew.

Also, Alexander, the rules need to be agreed on by all parties before they are rules. Does that sound fair to you. :) I want you boys to have fun with this race and hope there is a spirit of fun and cooperation with the ways and means of competition. How does that sound?[/quote']I think there should be no unfair advantages. However you may have a boat help you as many times as I did.

Doesn't this already disqualify you then? :shock: Better have this defined more precisely' date=' don't you think? :) I suggest that any recovery must be made from the Amphora using its gear and equipment and its own crew.

Also, Alexander, the rules need to be agreed on by all parties before they are rules. Does that sound fair to you. :) I want you boys to have fun with this race and hope there is a spirit of fun and cooperation with the ways and means of competition. How does that sound?[/quote']I think there should be no unfair advantages. However you may have a boat help you as many times as I did.

What do you think are unfair advantages? How many times have you already had other boats help you?

Five or Ten.

LOL....okay. We have not had any other boats help Dragon, so by breaking your own rule, has Dragon won? If so, it is sort of like winning on a technicality....a hollow sort of win. I suggest you amend your proposed rule. Have you had any other boats and/or crews help and/or assist in the recovery of treasures (actually locating and helping to haul up)? Maybe you could just not count those times and not use the treasure found at those times....sort of like practice runs? :)

Alexander, it puzzles me as to why you decided to propose this rule? Sam and Ben have not been getting help, nor have they complained about how you have been. They have been busy running wild all summer, but school starts in the morning for them. You too I think.

As far as I know, you have had more advantages over them. You have a boat shed to build in during bad weather. You already knew how to build an Amphora style boat from your Dad's building a Weekender. You have your Dad's bigger boat to assist you, as well as friends. You are more than a year older than Sam and maybe 2 years older than Ben. You have been able to make more boating trips this year so far due to Michigan's really poor summer. Why are you thinking that Sam and Ben are getting some sort of unfair advantages? :?: :?

Looks like this race is OVER! You'al need to make the rules and agree to them BEFORE THE NEXT RACE BEGINS.

Not really. We are simply discussing the rules. Alexander has painted himself into a corner by making it a rule that no other boats can help while that is what he has been doing. Arnie, how long has it been since you were with a gang of kids making up a game and its rules as you play? It is part of the learning process. Sam and Ben have not been getting any help from any other boats/crews, so Dragon complies with Alexander's rule.