How fast can you row it?

Hirilonde

For the past more then a year, excluding summer, when I go to the gym, I have been rowing my Spindrift 9 for excercise. The course I row is 1.5nm around a man made pond/puddle. I have gone from 38 minutes to 25 as of this morning. When I do the math I discover that I keep a pace of 3.6 kts. for almost a half hour.  I estimate the hull speed of a Spindrift 9 to be 3.6 kts. as well. Dunno what this means, if it is any good, but I find it interesting.

12 hours ago, Hirilonde said:

For the past more then a year, excluding summer, when I go to the gym, I have been rowing my Spindrift 9 for excercise. The course I row is 1.5nm around a man made pond/puddle. I have gone from 38 minutes to 25 as of this morning. When I do the math I discover that I keep a pace of 3.6 kts. for almost a half hour.  I estimate the hull speed of a Spindrift 9 to be 3.6 kts. as well. Dunno what this means, if it is any good, but I find it interesting.

What it means is that you have reached the rowing potential of your 9  and you need an 11.

Just curious,  are you putting more effort into your rowing,  or does the effort seem the same, as you're getting better times?        You might be getting stronger and more endurance,   or you might just be getting smoother and more coordinated.       Either way, you still need a faster boat.

7 hours ago, dwg2116 said:

What it means is that you have reached the rowing potential of your 9  and you need an 11.

Ha ha, another boat.

I am quite sure it is mostly a matter of getting stronger.  I learned to row well at 12 years at Boy Scout Camp.  I took rowing merit badge that summer and my instructor was a varsity member of the Brown crew team. I have been rowing with a proper feathered stroke ever since.

In all seriousness,I consider rowing my Spindrift in a similar manner to riding my steel frame bicycle.  Getting a faster one isn't going to be more excercise. And then I have to lug a heavier boat across the street to go rowing.

I made the “mistake” of rowing my friends 18’ Annapolis Wherry.  OMG!  It did go a little faster, but the glide was awesome.  (Note that when she’s rowing my orange boat, her son is dragging his hand in the water.)  I’m sticking with my 14, unless Santa Claus suddenly sprouts deep pockets.  (Unlikely)

Now to answer the conditioning question.  For me, I find that if I am getting out three times per week, as planned, I row better, not faster.  Most importantly, I can make the full distance (3.3 miles/row) without feeling sore or tired afterward.  

BTW,  B&B tinkered on developing a rower, but it was only 15’-6” long.  I put in a vote with Alan to make it longer.  It is on the back burner.

Owning a real rowing boat would be nice, but not practical due to storage restrictions. In the end, it wouldn't give me any more excercise than I get now.  I would like a better glide, the Spindrift slows down quickly after each stroke. Going faster, gliding faster would mean I would need a longer route to get the same work out. It would be fun though to build a mini Whitehall or a Wherry.  I just think they are gorgeous.

BTW Don, your videos don't work for me.

• Like 1