Home improvement update OT

capt jake

Now Cork is another I have looked at, though it is not as durable as Bamboo.

We still are trying to decide; Bamboo or Oak:?? Bamboo is nearly 30 % more durable than Oak, though we like the look of Oak. Price is another factor; we have wittled things down to 800 sq/ft of flooring (much less than the first thoughts). Still trying to decide.

We have all of the grout in place tonight!! I am glad to be done with cement based prodects!! Hard on hte finners!! :) :) :)

The outside paint was completed last night. The painter is going to come over some night to talk about 'boats' and how to build 'em!!!!! I think this will be fun!!! :) :) :) He is interested in small boats for his tribe

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bamboo is being used a lot here in SoCal on boats and homes. It has the advantage of not swelling when exposed to moisture.

We just tore out our oak floors and replaced them with tile ... 800 square feet of it. We had "real oak" but it was the thin laminate over a softer core material, and was "floating" like Pergo does. Noisiest floor you've ever heard! And it dinted like crazy every time you dropped something on it.

The maintenance was hard too ... you have to damp mop where we are because of the dirt from the farm behind our house (not dust ... DIRT!). And the wood floor was always such a pain to mop, because you have to do it with just a slightly damp mop. I started asking around and all of our neighbors who had real wood have torn it up in favor of the plastic laminate stuff or tile. One has the bamboo, and its working out great.

I'm a ceramic tile guy now ... but if I had to put something else down, it would be the bamboo.

I did my back sun room in 12" square slate tiles and I really like the way that looks and feels. I wish I had put down a bit more of that in the house but it was the last room to be finished. If I started all over again, I might go with some of the textured concrete floors - the guy who did the patio made it look just like big cobblestones.

I like slate and I wish I could have talked her into it!! We will do slate on the entry way!!:)

We have decided on Bamboo for the 900sq/ft of flooring in the house (I should say, that she agreed with it!).

I will place the order tommorrow and have them deliver as their delivery charge was a snap compared with me making two trips!!!

I replaced all of the subfloor in the entry today as I could not pry off the glued on Oak in this area. What a PIMA!!!

Bamboo or bust, I will post pictures of all of this when it is done, and my credit card goes up in flames!!! :)

pirateWink.gif

Hey, I have a new pieces of 'furniture, or artwork' in the house, I talked SWMBO into letting me hang the kayak in hte vaulted ceiling! It looks GREAT!!!

I also ripped out all of the carpet, phew!!

Bamboo is going to be delivered on Wednesday! A new slate exterior entry was layed on Saturday and grouted yesterday. No I have to cover it for the impending rain. :( :(

Take care!! :)

This is pretty good...Jakes "Home Improvement" thread is beating out the boat building threads for replys by a longshot....If Jake ever builds a HouseBoat' date=' Franks in for some competition... :D:D:D

b.[/quote']

If Jake builds a houseboat, does that mean that he has to move to a real big house so he can hang it in the foyer? :D

Split it into a separate forum???? No way Pal!! I may have to back off a bit but we are here for comeradery (sp?) and boats!

If my OT thread is being intrusive, I will certainly back off (a wee bit!! :) :) ).

I love being here in this forum, it is a great place to be. Alas, I hove nothing to say about boats at present, due to the home imprevements. I hope to back building soon !!! :) :)

Next project is to re-wire the shop and get the shop organized! ;):lol: :shock:

Heck Jake, keep up the good work. Maybe you will be trained by the time Isabelle leaves here, and then you can help us put our house back together. :wink: Frank, I like that one. I needed that, on a morning like this. Got woke up with pine tree limbs,on the roof, but it will all soon, come to pass. Just so the shop stays in tack, right?? :lol::lol: Later

I know you where ribbing me!!!

A word of advice, don't by Lowe's American Traditions paint. It sucks!!!!!!! It couldn't cover itself in a snowstorm (that is white on white).

I found Bob Villa's new paint provided by Sears to be be FAR superior!! It covered the white primer with ONE coat not problem (the final coat was blue). ONE coat and it flows out great.!I am not being paid for this, but this is one superberb paint!!!! It is Awesome!!!!! Amercan Traditions??BLAHHHHH!!!

I will go into the details of the remod at a later time.

I have sails in hand!!!!!So stand by for a few questions!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil, that's low, picking on Jake. :lol: 8)

So what are you going to do with those mis-sized bedsheets, bub? Figured out the luff from the leach yet?? Spelling test to follow. Oh, and could you come over to paint Nan's room, now that you're done and have time on your hands. :P Please, don't throw things!

No Jo! I am not painting Nan's room!! :) My arms are not that long! :)

My fingers are dislexic!!!! Teh the Teh Teh the the the!!!!

The sails are finally here for the Weekender!!! I haven't the time to fit them at present, but it feels great to have them in hand!!!! I rolled them out to look at them. That is as far as i got.

There is a little tie thing on the forward end of the jib; what is that for?? It is about 8" up from the lower grommet.