Home improvement update OT

capt jake

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289405805&p=4216367169&idx=8

Hopefuly you can see what has been added.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289405805&p=4216367178&idx=10

OK,this is much different since this picture this Am, i wil post later.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289405805&p=4216367161&idx=7

See what I mena about a 'project??? :)

No it is not painted yet, but he rood is all stocked fro teh roof. Roofing to commence on Monday. Painting will begin on Friday on Labor day weekend.

I only hope that I have everything done in time. :)

Roofing is a bit ahead of schedule, which will cost me more with teh painter, but hey, it will be weathered in! :)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man it doesn't take Imagestation long to fill your mailbox. I joined so I could look at your photos. Tried to post a comment on there and by the time I had backed out I had mail from Sony and several others.

Quite a project Jake, lots of work and it shows even from the outside.

Glad to hear you are getting a handle on closing things up. Hard to count on reasonable weather from here on out.

Looks good!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, the painting is nearly done. I hired it out and he will hopefully finish tomorrow. It looks great.!!

The yard is clear of all major debris, and the wife is finally able to start watering again, though we have lost a few plants. :(

I have the addition sheetrocked (by myself, 12' boards!!) . Eek that one hurt. :)

Changed the oil throughout the fleet today..

I have an unusual delemma with the new addition; the existing floor was covered in ceramic tile. After pouring the new slab for the addition, I had to achieve teh same elevation for the 'new' floor. I tried the air chisel and aftter 7 sq/ft, I came out a bloody mess (literaly) as the shrouds of ceramic poked holes all over me!!!

I decided to lay some cheap tile to get averything to grade. Grouted and filled all of the voids. Tomorrow I will rent an industrial floor polisher and attach a set of grinding stones to it. I did this years ago on a commercial job, in an effort to level an uneven concrete slab (it didn't work, but it will work to remove the glaze from teh tiles so that the next layer of tile will bond properly).

Rambling I know! I haven't had a lot of time to do this in a while, I like it!! After the tile floor I have 3 weeks until the tape and texture guy can make it, so I might have to start on the wod floors in hte rest of teh house..........MIGHT!! :):D

Take care!! :)

Capt Jake, you are the Home Improvement man!

We're getting the last half of our windows replaced, so we were tearing out some over-grown daisys in front of the bay window, and my wife noticed some rot in the trim around the old windows. So I started investigating and found I have to replace some of it. I actually thought of you while I was tearing off termite-eaten 2x10s! Here by the beach, termites are a fact of life, so you just deal with them the best you can.

I spent $40 on new rough-sawn lumber to replace it, which I'll do tomorrow. I'll prime it and wait for the window people to do their thing, and then I'll re-paint.

Capt Jake, you are the Home Improvement man!

Unfortuantely, my wife has figured that out. On this project she has come up with some very good ideas, though they are all time consuming. We were discussing the interior last night and came up with a plan for arched fluted columns to separate two different areas. MOre time:)

Frank, hope the window thing goes well. Where I had concerns about water infiltration I taped teh edge of the window with Forti-Flash. It is a relatively new idea to seal the nailing flang, but it makes sense to me. It is a very sticky tape on type product.

I'm torn about the water sealing issue .... we are so dry here, it usually isn't a problem, so I'll probably just do my usual ... caulk the top edges and leave the bottom un-caulked so any water that gets in there can drain out. Not that there's any water around here anyway!

I did get some acid-powder stuff that is supposed to kill termites. I'll treat the inside of that front wall with it and the back of the rough-sawn 2 x's that are going on as trim. If I was building new, I'd be pouring the stuff on all the exposed studs and especially the sill plate. (They keep saying termites always come from the ground, but I never have damage low ... its always in a rafter or along trim up higher on the wall!)

Hey Frank, Do you have fire ants out there? I doubt they are as far north as Washington, but I have heard they were in California, but not sure how far West or North.

The reason I bring these vicious critters up is.... I have seen then dig through concrete and into the studs. Not that they eat wood (or concrete) but they are very destructive. One good thing I have found about fire ants is they pretty much kill off most other pests. Not all, but a lot of them. There seems to be fewer termites here because of the ants.

Another good thing is ... I have a few chickens and geese. Occasionaly, one dies for some reason. I can tell you first hand... Fire ants will strip a carcas Very Quickly!

The biggest problem is their sting... some people become alergic after their first sting and any future sting could put their life at risk. I have probably been stung over 1000 times.... Not all at once, but a 5 to 10 here, 10 more there.... etc. I hate 'em!

No fire ants here in Ventura County yet, but I have heard of them south and east of here. We're hoping they don't like the coast! (Fat chance, huh?)

I got the trim replaced on the house today, but didn't get to painting it. Finished too late to allow enough time for the caulking to cure, so I'll try to prime and paint it tomorrow or sometime during the week. I squirted the acid-powder stuff all over the place and if it doesn't kill me, I know I won't have any termites in that wall! Of course, it could be the only one left standing after they eat the rest of the house.

We don't have too many vicious critters here, although my wife would say differently after watching a blue heron gulp down her koi fish. Black widow spiders are about the worst unless you're up in the hills ... then you have cougars and rattlesnakes to worry about. I've been bitten by a black widow before, and while its not fun, it isn't that bad either. The cougars and rattlesnakes are another matter ... think your fire ants could take them down?

Wel, a little off topic at this point; I got a new tool!! A 7" wet tile saw; the only hitch was spending 8+ hours on my knees to lay 175 sq/ft of tile!! :) It has mosaic tiles inset here and there on a diagonal (thus the tile saw). ))

Man I am beat............ LAter.

OH, while laying tile; my wife said, "What would you do withought me?"

I said, "Probably build a boat or two, if I wern't into this home improvement thing!!" That got a good laugh and and understanding hug from her! :) :) :)

OH, while laying tile; my wife said, "What would you do withought me?"

I said, "Probably build a boat or two, if I wern't into this home improvement thing!!" That got a good laugh and and understanding hug from her!

Now THATS a great relationship.....

B.

Thanks Bill. she is very happy now that we are doing 'interior' stuff! Shee has NO concept of the exterior construction and or viewing the final 'view'.

Interior is her thing, and I am glad to say that I am happier to do that as well. It is starting to fel more like home!

Next? New flooring throughout the house; I am leaning towards Bamboo. I think it is an awesome product; hard and durable while a sustainable resource.

The house i'm working on just got a nice new oak floor. I was really pleased that the owner and I have the same thoughts about it. He doesn't trust the new, throw it in, no glue or nail stuff. Nice thick oak will do(about 13/16), and last 50 or 60 years. Interestingly enough, he got the stuff as cheap if not cheaper than the "new age" junk!

I'm just not sold on the thin material...

("Don't you like my new Livingroom?, It's a photo of a "real" wooden floor..").

i'd like to know I can yank out a Big A** sander and make it all new again in 10 years, with all the dings, dents, warps etc....and still only be shaving about a fifth of it's life off...

Bamboo? Sounds interesting...I have actually never heard of it for flooring (then again, I live in Maine :-) ) Once you get it in, I'd like to see a photo of the finished product. Just wondering, what an average cost per square foot is on something like that (uninstalled).

Now that I think of it, what does it come like? I keep having these thoughts of Gilligan and the Skipper pounding their thumbs, while the Professor concocks yet another brew of glue, from coconuts...

:lol::lol::lol:

Bill

Bamboo actually comes just like a solid T&G floor. It is nailed or glued down. Nominally 5/8" thick. Prices from 2.95 to 6.00 per sq/ft. It is harder than Oak but has a very flat texture. The 2.95 I found on the net and it was pre-finished (as all of them are that I have seen.

Though I am not that keen on a pre-finished product, it would allow us to use the house while it is being installed.

Here is just one example http://www.fairpacificbamboo.com/

Pardon me for jumping in but what is the square footage and degree of difference of your mismatched concrete floors? I had to level a section of my basement and I used an epoxy product that "self-leveled" - poured it down, let it set and installed the sub-floor right over top. That was a couple of years ago, no leaks, no fumes, worked really well. Lazy man's solution maybe but hey, I won't argue with that.

When you're done with your house, I could use some help with mine - have to add a few more bedrooms - house is bursting with kids.

Kids are like alligators - they're cute when you first get them, but they grow and eat you out of house and home. :lol:

Pardon me for jumping in but what is the square footage and degree of difference of your mismatched concrete floors?

Approximately 1/4'+". The existing floor had ceramic tile layed on it, so the new slab was that much lower. All done now! One long day, except teh gouting of course. :)

I also wonder about teh use of Bamboo in other applications. It seems like it is a rot resistant building material. :?

duh - sorry my mistake. Geez - it sounds like you had to put a fair amount of effort into it though. A quarter inch of this compound would have been pretty fast and cheap. I got it at Home Despot in a couple of big ol' pails.

My dining room and kitchen are done in the fake stuff. It looks pretty good even up against the wood trim and cabinets. I would have preferred the real stuff too but I doubt I could have installed it myself and made it look good. At least not in the time my wife allotted me :D

I've got some cork down in my family/play room and it's held up pretty well. Bamboo is a new one on me too.