I got a chance to get my Ravenswood in the water today, and chase my daughter around in her Kidyak for a bit. Water stayed out, and everyone had a great time. I'm looking forward to spending lots more time in the boat. It paddled beautifully, and the acceleration was amazing! I made the mistake of letting my wife try it on as well, and I'm guessing there will be a second Ravenswood in the pipeline before long...
Stringers are WRC, with frames in Hydrotek marine plywood, and the masik and coaming in ash. Skin was the 6oz premium fabric with 3 coats of Ace's Rust Stop paint. It weighed in at 28.1 lbs ready to launch, and I could shave a bit more weight on the floors and pedals next time. The boat was made on the cheap: All of the cedar except the gunwales was found for free in a local cedar dealer's curbside scrap box (full length with no scarfs needed), and I had enough Hydrotek left over from previous projects for the frames and floors. (I got two Kidyaks, a Tadpole, and the Ravenswood out of one sheet, so it's hard to complain about the cost there in any case!)
My thanks to all of you who answered my questions during the build.
Well, not really the first time afloat, the real first was just 20 minutes of so to make sure it held water (out!)
The photo is on it's real maiden voyage - 5 miles. Did another 5 the next day.
The Ravenswood will take a little getting used to. I miss having a skeg.
The second photo shows the area of the second voyage though the photo is taken from my Manitou-14 a week earlier. Taking any kayak through the trees felt, well rather spooky even more so with the Ravenswood.
Ravenswood, frames and coaming in hoop pine ply, stringers in WRC, polyester skin bought from the Kudzu store finished with clear Aquacote 2-part polyurethane.
Mr Horton's book is right - I was so desperate to get the boat in the water during the last bit of fitout it almost sent me crazy.
Then it was suddenly finished, and I just stood around looking at it, putting off and putting off the 'flotation trials'...
Boat on the car. I really wanted that translucent finish.