"Flooring" for Ravenswood

I'm just starting my Ravenswood and have a question about 'Flooring'. I'm a bit concerned about my heels (or rather the heels of my watershoes) wearing on the fabric in the area of the foot-pegs. 

There is solid wood flooring under my butt, then looks like bare fabric where only 'lunch, etc' then a frame and bare fabric where my feet might wear the fabric.   

I'm thinking of putting some kind of removable light plastic.  What does everyone else do?  Or am I overthinking a problem that doesn't really exist.?

Woodmike:

Overthinking. While I note a little bit of fabric stretch in the heel areas on my Ravenswood, there is no sign of wear. The boat is covered with the "old" 8-ounce Dacron, which, according to Jeff, is actually 6 ounce.

Your mention of watershoes also prompted a thought on safety. Make sure your paddling footwear has no laces or loops that could get hung up on footpegs or other internal bits during a wet exit.

Fair winds, Andy 

13 hours ago, woodmike said:

I'm thinking of putting some kind of removable light plastic.  What does everyone else do?  Or am I overthinking a problem that doesn't really exist.?

You are overthinking it, but I get this a lot.  Think about this, if your feet can wear a hole in the fabric then the boat wouldn't be safe to take out on water. 

Jeff: Just because he's been convinced it's safe, doesn't mean he won't feel better with a little reinforcement for the fabric.

He might feel better if he gets a sleeping bag pad or other closed cell foam and cutting out a couple of strips to glue to the fabric under his heels.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Supporting Members

Supporting Members can create Clubs, photo Galleries, don't see ads and make messing-about.com possible! Become a Supporting Member - only $12 for the next year. Pay by PayPal or credit card.

• Similar Content

• By PNWSOF
      I got a chance to get my Ravenswood in the water today, and chase my daughter around in her Kidyak for a bit.  Water stayed out, and everyone had a great time.  I'm looking forward to spending lots more time in the boat.  It paddled beautifully, and the acceleration was amazing!  I made the mistake of letting my wife try it on as well, and I'm guessing there will be a second Ravenswood in the pipeline before long...

Stringers are WRC, with frames in Hydrotek marine plywood, and the masik and coaming in ash.  Skin was the 6oz premium fabric with 3 coats of Ace's Rust Stop paint.  It weighed in at 28.1 lbs ready to launch, and I could shave a bit more weight on the floors and pedals next time.  The boat was made on the cheap: All of the cedar except the gunwales was found for free in a local cedar dealer's curbside scrap box (full length with no scarfs needed), and I had enough Hydrotek left over from previous projects for the frames and floors.  (I got two Kidyaks, a Tadpole, and the Ravenswood out of one sheet, so it's hard to complain about the cost there in any case!)

My thanks to all of you who answered my questions during the build.

Brad

• By woodmike
      Well, not really the first time afloat, the real first was just 20 minutes of so  to make sure it held water (out!)

The  photo is on it's real maiden voyage - 5 miles. Did another 5 the next day.

The Ravenswood will take a little getting used to. I miss having a skeg.

The second photo shows the area of the second voyage though the photo is taken from my Manitou-14 a week earlier.  Taking any kayak through the trees felt, well rather spooky even more so with the Ravenswood. 
    • By woodmike
      It's been a couple weeks on a Pool Table alongside a Firefly. I got mine out the door onto some grass first.
    • By coucal
      Ravenswood, frames and coaming in hoop pine ply, stringers in WRC, polyester skin bought from the Kudzu store finished with clear Aquacote 2-part polyurethane.
      Mr Horton's book is right - I was so desperate to get the boat in the water during the last bit of fitout it almost sent me crazy.
      Then it was suddenly finished, and I just stood around looking at it, putting off and putting off the 'flotation trials'... 

Boat on the car.  I really wanted that translucent finish.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.