Here is the Short Shot I am building out in Friday Harbor, WA.
It has taken a while. When I started, I had no woodworking tools at all and almost no experience. Now, I have the beginnings of a respectable collection. Acquiring tools and learning to use them has obviously added to my cost and time, but learning to do this stuff is a major reason I decided to do this in the first place, so I am content.
Here on the island, what I could get my hands on was MDO for the frames (ugly, but seems to work fine), and Western Red Cedar for stringers. I was lucky enough to find some full length clear fascia boards for the gunwales and keel, and there are only a couple scarfs I had to do for a couple of the stringers. If I had wanted I could have ordered clear finished 1"x8"x18' boards at the local yard, but I didn't want to spend the money, so I picked through the fascia pile and hit the jackpot. Good cedar is one of the few things that it is easy to get out here.
The boat is a little more heavily built than plans-- initially because I didn't have an easy way to plane the boards from 3/4" to 5/8", but after some thought, I realized I don't mind it being a bit sturdier in the sometimes rough conditions I can encounter on the ocean. I will only be using it in salt water, and we can get some decent wind, waves, and tides here. It's still not too heavy for me to easily pick up and put on the car.
I also did my first ever lamination on the deck beam, which is far from perfect but seems very strong. Having climbed into it, I concur that the laminated beam is the way to go. I will try to improve on my technique for the coaming. All they had was red oak, at 3/4" thickness, so I had to rip it into 1" and 1.5" pieces, put those on their side and push through the saw with featherboards to hold them straight to get three roughly 1/8" strips per piece. The stuff is not cheap, either.
In case you are wondering, I will be skinning the frame as-is-- bare wood with no finish applied.
I have been looking around and could not find a solid answer....
How hard would it be to add the laminated beam to an existing short shot? I have many tools, but if anyone has tried and would totally advise against it, then I won't try it; but it looks simple enough to cut the frames accordingly, add the new beam and re-lash it into place without too much hassle.
Here's the base I'm working off of to cut the frames and coaming out. I cut holes in it to give me more clamping options.
Getting the frames out. Here's where the holes in my table are coming in handy.
I think I'm going to end up needing more clamps.
The holes end up being useful for more than just clamping.
So I will begin with the end product (well about 90% finished) and then tell the story/build history of this wonderful boat!
First things first though; thanks to everyone here who indirectly answered questions about this build by posting your own builds, and especially thanks to Jeff for the designs!
I have not named this boat, but it is a Short Shot coming in at 16' 7" total length with the premium 6oz polyester coated with Rustoleum oil-based paint in blue and silver. I actually finished it in early August of last year (2016) as my goal was to have it ready for an annual paddle trip with the local boy scout troop I volunteer with. I did two, 3-4 mile paddles a few days before the 4 day and 50+ mile trip across all of the Saranac Lakes in the Adirondack State Park. It handled beautifully, and has zero leaks since day one!
Without further ado, here she is in her current glory (well a year ago, after fresh paint). I began to paint silver scales down the length of the bottom, but ran out of time before the big paddle trip. I plan to finish them this year now that it's getting warm again and also do blue scales down the top on the silver base.
This image was taken after I moved from the apartment into a house with a garage. I got the frame built and skinned before the move and then painted it at the new place. You will see all of this in later posts. BTW, I have tons of pictures. If anyone wants to see anything in particular, just ask and I can upload any others I have or even go take more pictures.
FINALLY, it's my turn to post a FROG photo.
Many thanks to everyone that posted photos. the pics were very helpful during throughout my build.
FWIW: okume 12mm ply, cedar 4"x4"x10' ripped into stringers (scarfed using Titebond 3), "Tandy" brand polyester flat artificial sinew, laminated oak coaming (1.25" tall with .5"x.5" lip), 28 lbs with coaming and foot braces.