Coaming location

bagarre

I have the first Ravenswood lashed (FROG forthcoming) but I'm a little confused about coaming location.

Does the front of the coaming overlap the masik or should it rest on the frame at the rear?

If I make a smaller coaming, will that change the location of the masik?

A picture is probably worth a thousand words, if anyone has one.

Cheers,

Obviously you can make all the changes you want, I am not trying to stop anyone, but I can not support or give any advice. When someone makes changes it is no longer 'my' design, technically it is a new design.

I get asked all the time about changing frame spacing, making a boat longer, shorter, taller, lower, you name it. The frames are designed to fit a specific location and to work with the wood stringers, not force it is into unnatural shapes. Move them and the shape needs to change to keep the proper shape. 

When you start making changes you can end up with boat that looks great on the strongback and once free, the stringers will start to assume the shape they want and deform your boat. My first Stonefly deformed badly! It took me a good while to understand exactly what I did wrong. I ended up making changes to most of my previous designs using what I learned.

Very good points. I wasn't looking for a particular endorsement of a re-design but rather a confirmation that I can't simply put a smaller coaming on the boat without moving the masik frame and moving that frame entails other design considerations.

Moving a frame can certainly change the shape and strength of a boat  but I didn't think moving the masik frame aft two inches would change the design of the boat in a considerable way. because that frame is three pieces, it's the easiest to adjust when relocating too.

It might be simpler to work out a keyhole coaming as the goal of a smaller coaming was knee bracing.

Any time you want move a frame you have to make a new frame....take measurments from the exhisting frame and make a new one acordingly.....Like cutting the bottom off the front cockpit frame that hits the calves of the legs, I make a half frame that fits in front of the seat. ....

• 2 weeks later...

I am struggling with the placing as well. This photo does show what i need to see. What I am wondering is how the front of the coaming will be stable enough? Does the skin of the boat add some additional stability to the coaming? It seems to be so precariously balancing up in front.

• 2 weeks later...

I am building the Short Shot. What I have run into is that the cross frame at the back of the coaming is not a level surface. Also, the deck beams behind it are not at the same height with the middle beam being higher. I thought I could notch the middle deck beam to allow the coaming to sit on top of the two outer deckbeams and underneath the center one. If I rest the back of the coaming with out doing this is seems impossible that it would be stable enough. Does anyone have a photo of how the coaming is supposed to rest on the short shot? I am just about done lashing the boat but have not started the rear deck beams as I am unsure how to proceed.

I am building the Short Shot. What I have run into is that the cross frame at the back of the coaming is not a level surface. Also, the deck beams behind it are not at the same height with the middle beam being higher.

Trust the designer! ;) I have designed and built many of these. The frames are as they are supposed to be. 

The skin is what holds the coaming in place, just follow the instructions in the manual. When you skin it and pull the skin tight,  it will hold the coaming in place.

• Like 1