Ventilation

Brent

Seeing Bills nice hatch work reminded me of a question I was asking myself a few days ago while my head was poked inside the hatch openings of my now upside down CS20. Ventilation? I was looking thinking about rain water coming down through the mast tube, or spray over the bow getting under the hatch, or water dripping off an anchor rode stowed in the bow combining with all that beautiful wood. Dont want to be growing mold up there. Maybe my CS20 needs a way to circulate air in the forward and aft lockers.

I left a gap along the king plank for water to drain out of towards the bailers. I may add some 3" holes to the forward bulkhead up near the deck (but without cutting into the deck beam) to allow air to circulate from my drain opening up and out under the deck. What do ya think?

Something similiar could be done in the aft locker also.

Guest Anonymous

Brent,

The mast tube should have an overboard drain to prevent water from collecting in the bottom or running into the boat hull. Best way to do this is to seal the tube bottom completely and vent it through the hull side. An easy way to do this is to make an oversize hole in the hull alongside the mast, fill with epoxy and drill out a center hole after the epoxy sets up. Insert a piece of 1/4 inch flexible plastic tubing through this hole and another hole drilled near the base of the mast tube. Now fill the space between the mast tube and hull side enclosing the plastic tubing. After the epoxy sets up, pull the tubing out and you have an automatic scupper for the mast tube.

One disaster that can be avoided with this drain is freezing of water in the mast tube which can destroy it. Bad experience with a Laser speaking here.

Tom Lathrop

Air circulation is good in any boat, but particularly in a wooden boat. Even one that's well coated with epoxy. Fresh air is a great enemy of mold, mildew and rot. So any steps you can take to promote that air circulation EVERY where in the boat is a good deal.

Something a lot of trailerable boat owners are doing is putting one of the small pancake computer fans in a hatch board or someplace so it can be moving air at all times. Runs off 12 volt and consumes micro amps.