Head considerations

Chas231

I was leaning toward (no pun intended) the Nature's Head composting toilet, but am looking at the SeaLand Gravity Discharge 711-M28. Price is a consideration: the SeaLand costs about $600 less. It uses onboard fresh water and has a 9.5 gallon holding tank in the base. Manual states an average of one quart per flush, which should provide plenty of capacity for our purposes between pump outs. The base is kind of large, about 19" square, which will fit in my head. A ceramic toilet bowl is a plus. Installation is straightforward; water connection, 1 1/2" discharge hose, and 5/8" vent hose. Anything I'm missing?

I am a Sealand Vacu Flush Super Tech :P   That is to say I took their factory authorized course on installing and repairing their vacuum toilets.

Sealand has probably the most smell resistant systems.  The key ingredient for this is their flexible PVC hose.  It is likely the only impervious to smell material that is also some what flexible.  Solid PVC is the best, but not always practical for installation.   I recommend using this hose for any system.  I used it with my used rebuilt hand pump toilet on my Renegade.  Probably the next most key ingredient for avoiding smells is a properly vented holding tank with no leaks.  Sealand makes plastic gasketed fittings that are all top mounted to the tanks.  Dip tubes like for a fuel tank keep all joints above the black water line.  This reduces permeation to virtually nil.  Using fresh water for the flush reduces smell a lot, but may not be practical.  Sealand also makes a tank deodorizer that is extremely effective.

As to which type of system it is a matter of a lot of personal choices of which cost is a consideration.  I think the most simple to use system is the vacuum toilet.  If you want to please a land lubber this is a great choice.  But it also costs a fortune.

I suggest the use of Sealand hose, rotary molded seamless polyethylene tanks with Sealand fittings on the top only with a vent and Sealand deodorizer used as needed.  I am not up to speed on composting systems.  They are becoming viable these days.