Decisions; Belhaven,Princess22 or 26

Guest Scott Dunsworth

Guest Scott Dunsworth

Here is the problem and the answer is probably not out there, it must lie within. Never the less maybe some of you can give me some food for thought.

I am going to start a boat soon and I like all of Grahams designs. The Belhavens PLus's for me are: 1. I could start soon. 2. It would launch very easyly. 3. I could build it in my shop as my shop is now. 4. Money 5. It would meet most of my needs for a weekend boat.

The Princess 22 meets all of the above plus. 1. More room for my wife and 6 year old. 2. Would be all the boat I would need for extended trips. 3. A downside for me is Im sure more money and I would not get to start this year. ( Wife starting nursing school )

And then there is the Princess 26, it has all of the above and a lot more room to move around. The only down sides to the 26 for me are: 1. I have to extend my shop by 6 to 8 feet to get started. 2. I am sure when it comes to sailing I will be alone 75 percent of the time, so do I need the extra room?

I know I must sound like a dizzy burgerking manager. But I truly love all three of these designs.

I plan on visiting Graham and Carla in June and hope after talking to them I can put this decision rest.

I will use this boat mostly on the Ohio river which is a mile wide in most places and has some fantasic sandbars for camping. From time to time on a couple of 10,000 acre lakes that are one to three hours away. And maybe once a year a visit to the great lakes, NC Oak island area or the west coast of Flordia. I would like to join in on some of these coastal cruises.

Any thoughts from someone thats been there?

This would have been easier if B&B had only designed one of these boats!

Scott

You will get a thousand answers about boat size from a thousand respondents.

Boats with cabins (of these sizes) tend to have huge trade off's. Cabin too small or cockpit to small. I would recommend getting on a few boats of simular size prior to building. Then decide how important room is as compared to ease of trailoring and setting up. Sometimes the smaller boats get used a lot more due to the ease of getting to and from the water.

That previous post seems to say it all. If the Bellhaven works for you now, go with it. For many of us the building process is as enjoyable as the sailing. Worst case is that after sailing the Bellhaven for a while you decide to build another boat. How bad is that?

Guest Scott Dunsworth

I know its crazy isnt it, after all its just a boat! It is true building is as enjoyable as sailing, almost. I like building in the winter but really prefer sailing and camping in the warmer months. I spent two winters in the shop building our Penobscot 14 with my little girl and it was some of best times I have spent with my little one. She had a little saw and from time to time I would find an extra saw cut on the boat that she slipped in on me. But we would just fix it and move on.

I am planning a early retirement in three years, maybe Ill just build them all. My wife may be looking for a attorney if I do that. She is a very good woman, But she has a hard time understanding how you can sail more than one boat at a time.

I guess this is what boating is all about anyway, family and friends enjoying each other.

Scott

:lol: This is from a guy who is going from a world cruising 32' boat to a trailer sailor which is 17' on the deck.

Do it now, u won't regret it.

There is nothing like building u 'r own. I built a 14'6" nester dinghy, 4 years ago and the day we launched it it was like having a baby, so I named it Bambino.

Gene

I am planning a early retirement in three years' date=' maybe Ill just build them all. My wife may be looking for a attorney if I do that. She is a very good woman, But she has a hard time understanding how you can sail more than one boat at a time.

[/quote']

My wife has the same kind of thinking ... she once asked me "how many boats do you really need?" It threw me into deep thought, because I was trying to figure out how you could tell how many boats you really need. I finally thought maybe 5, a little powerboat for scooting around, a little sailboat for quick single handing in the bay, a larger power boat for fishing, a bigger sailboat for cruising, and then a trawler for powering around in comfort. So I said, "Well, 5 ..." and she threw up her hands and said "Nevermind!" and laughed. I was very glad she laughed.

I hate to give other guys advice as it is pretty much forbidden in my circle of friends. You take advice but never give it....

But for what it is worth I had a 26 foot Norwalk Island Sharpie by Bruce Kirby when my kids were 2 and 5.

Lot of fun but the thing was just too big... Wife up at the car putting the kids in order, me battling with 26 foot of boat in the wind all alone. Coming into the dock, kids crying mum trying to be deckie and child welfare nurse. Stressful crash and arrival...

Also 26 footers are BIG things to tow. I would recommend you try that angle alone before you did too much.

We are having a CS20 built and it looks like the size of boat I will use where as the 26 was so much bigger, even getting in over the sides was a challenge for mum hoisting up little kids etc.

But we all go to hell in our own way but the advice earlier that the smaller the boat the more it is used is soooooo true.

(Make sure you get something though you will go mad if you don't)

Rob

Guest Anonymous

When the cartoon character, Hagar the Horrible, was asked why he had 7 boats, he said, "because I just sold one".

First I want to compliment you on your incredibly good taste in boats :oops: ! I am probably the LAST person to qualified to be handing out advice here. But, I too have been in this conundrum - er, many times in my life, to be honest. I was wanting to build a P26 so we could have weekends with our whole family - which means 5-6 of us. But....my current workshop didn't fit that plan...So....I am building a new larger workshop....but, I also don't want to buy a bigger vehicle to pull it and get yet another trailer - at this point. I also really like the idea of the Belhaven, I can build it quickly, in the present workshop - or the new one (notice I'm not giving THAT up). It is also large enough to go trailer sailoring around the country wherever we wish to go - and is comfortable enough to act as a camper behind the car. If the whole family goes for a weekend, I guess a couple of us will sleep in the cockpit and one on the sole, just as one or would have in the P26. But it will happen so rarely that it isn't even an important IMMEDIATE consideration.... Now I do plan to build the P26 later.... or maybe 36' something - who knows?

Of course, this is only my thinking and as I said it may not be any help to you.

Whatever your choice - we will be here for you!

Graham

Guest Scott Dunsworth

Thanks all!

I am going to sleep on it for two more weeks. But when we come home from vacation in NC there will be a set of plans with us. I just got to quit going back and forth and just buy some plans, I am making myself dizzy.

I am leaning towards the Belhaven a little more every day, but I think it is because I know that it can be started this fall.

Let you all know in a few weeks and if I learn how to post pictures Ill do that also once started.

Scott