Sculpers

Brent

Guest Anonymous

Is the purpose of this scupper to drain the boat when it is out of the water? West Marine has a selection of rubber drain plugs.

-Mike

Guest Anonymous

Sorry to take so long to get back on this one Brent - busy week...

Scuppers are openings that take water off of decks. On larger boats with solid toe rails or bulwarks, they are usually cut openings at points along the rail. On our Core Sound boats, the scupper is the drainpipe from the seats as shown in the plan so you don't sit in water when you take spray. I think what is being referred to here might be the bailer? That is the hardware that allows water to drain out of the boat, either when it is on land or underway - depending on the type. The simple powerboat style is a drain plug mentioned by Mike - which is usually placed through the transom near the bottom - which is fine if you have the model without the aft bulkhead/storage. You leave it open when the boat is stored outdoors -being sure to leave it stern low. It never completely gets all the water out and does not work underway!!!! (very important to close these before launching - and have an extra plug with you). We like the Anderson (Elvstrom) venturi type bailers mounted in the bottom, as they can be used also underway. The downside is that there is a very watertight :) patent on this type, so you have to go with the Anderson which isn't cheap. Most people who have them say they are worth every penny though. I have Andersons in all of my own boats.

Graham

Graham,

This sounds like excellent advice (as usual) about the Anderson (Elvstrom) venturi type bailers. I do not recall seeing this recommendation on the Spindrift plan set but am going by memory (plan set is in the shop right now). Would this bailer be a good choice for the Spindrift, or simply overkill?

Thankyou,

Greg Luckett

Guest Anonymous

Greg,

If you look at the rigging plan you will see the bailer. I put one in all my open boats. The Spindrift uses a mini. I install them beside the aft end of the trunk which is the lowest part of the boat and out of the way of big feet, but still reachable from the helm. They do not work unless you are doing 3 - 4 knots which is fine as you shouldn't need it at low speeds.

Graham

Graham,

OK, will do, and thankyou for the guidance. I wonder what else I have overlooked in the plan set? Details, details, details...........

By the way, I have been looking at the Diva and hope to call you tomorrow to order a plan set. She should be fun on the rivers here.

Greg.

Guest ricardo de oliveira

'the scupper is the drainpipe from the seats as shown in the plan so you don't sit in water"

I think I'm missing something here. What drainpipe?

Regards,

Ric

Ric,

What drainpipe?

This is one of the those terminology issues. I mistakenly used the word "sculper" when I should have used the term "bailer". So I was politely notified of the error by my fellow board members. If your boat is like mine there is no drain pipe.

By the way, it is nice to hear from you. I presume the fact that we haven't heard from you in a while is due to your being so busy teaching the new baby to sail and fish. :wink:

Cheers

Brent

Brent and Ric,

The drain pipe referred to was on a revised sheet I received a while back. Basically, when the boat heals, water can collect on the leeward seat. So, Graham shows a small pvc pipe that runs from the surface of the seat next to side panels, down at an angle through the seat hatch, and out at the bottom of the seat side panels...effectively draining the collected water into the bottom of the boat. The pipe is sealed with epoxy at the seat top and side panel. Does that help?

TOny

What I said was that the pvc pipe runs through the seat hatch...I meant to say that it runs through the underseat storage area...

I guess this will make it possible to sit on the leeward side, even if the boat is catching some spray. Our behinds won't get numb from being wet :) .

TOny

Guest ricardo de oliveira

Tony: Good idea, uh?. It seems to be effective and not too complicated to accomplish...

Brent: Sailing? Fishing? Sleeping? :cry:

Regards,

Ric