Ocracoke 24

Miyot

What paint are you using in the bilge, thanks Russell

Hey Russell.  I'm using Interlux's Interprotect 2000e.  Its not cheap, but you can add coats of the interprotect without sanding for up to six months.  I am also using it for my primer and weave fill for all my glass work. It won't fill the weave right unless you use the peel ply.   After removing the peel ply  (which I did not use in the bilge areas)  I go straight to the Interprotect without sanding except for the the overlap of glass areas and fixing little problem spots.  I used the Interprotect on my splash well and console.  Then I'll go straight to Interlux's Perfection, without any additional primer.  The Interprotect comes in white and grey.  

I like the no sanding part.  However, after filling the glass weave with 2 or 3 coats of the Interprotect I sand smooth with 220 before applying the Perfection.  In the bilge I did not fill the weave of the glass.  I just applied one coat of the Interprotect.  I mixed up a batch of Interprotect I thought would do a section of the bilge I was working on.  Any product left over I would recoat an area of the bilge that already had a coat on it or I thought could use another coat.

Greetings Miyot really looking good. I am not a fan of batteries in the back. Lots of water there. Nothing but bad things can happen. You sound like me worried about the weight of the wire. Just my 2 cents.

Finished the aft 12 feet of interior glass and the bow section. Just have to connect the dots. Gone again most of next week. 

Keep plugging you will be done before you know it. I hope to make the rendezvous in  October. I don't know looking more like next year. 

Oh by the way nice looking console. I looked at the traditional bronze steering wheel looks cool but a bit pricey 

Hey Hightech.  Time and money are adding up.  According to the charts, the battery run from the console aft and back is actually to far.  I know it can be done, and I will if I have to.  But it would cost a little chunk and the boat has eaten a chunk so far.  I'm not at all worried about water back there.  Those compartments are relatively water tight, although water may intrude through some of the wiring routes.  If those compartments flood above the batteries I'm afraid the boat would already be gone.  

I really wanted the batteries at the console for weight purposes, although the batteries ride better aft.  The cost of the heavy copper put them aft.  If my scuppers are to low, I'll move the batteries to the console.  I have given up on trying to make the finish perfect.  To much work and time and I'm not going to miss boating and fishing this summer.  I'm still trying to do a nice job though.  I still plan on a late May or early June launching.  January I couldn't hardly force myself to work hard.  I'd go to the boat with every intention of getting something done, stand around looking at it and just have no energy to hardly move.  Now I'm spending every bit of time I can find on the boat.  Tuna and flounder will come over the rail this summer.

Engine install is April 5.

post-2937-0-35558800-1395921967_thumb.jpg

Cheers Miyot. I may just have to make time to come down for a ride. I hear you on the expenses every good idea has a price. You will know soon enough what is best with the batteries.

Look forward to seeing the engine on.

This is the last bag in the back 12' The bow is done so just a little more. Just need time that's all.

This whole thread is really impressive and I've enjoyed it.

I do want to comment on the "I have given up on trying to make the finish perfect" comment. I remember being at that phase when I built my nesting Spindrift 11. What I failed to take into account was that in some ways its a bit like drywall finishing. When you are staring at just the drywall, every little imperfection is way to obvious. But later, when you paint the room and ad the furnishings and accessories, the imperfections fade into the background. I was such a perfectionist that I got a bit paralyzed at the stage of paint prep, but after I got over myself I finished and things turned out great and all the imperfections faded away. Everybody that sees the Suzy J sees all the other stuff.

Take Care,

Steve

This whole thread is really impressive and I've enjoyed it.

I do want to comment on the "I have given up on trying to make the finish perfect" comment. I remember being at that phase when I built my nesting Spindrift 11. What I failed to take into account was that in some ways its a bit like drywall finishing. When you are staring at just the drywall, every little imperfection is way to obvious. But later, when you paint the room and ad the furnishings and accessories, the imperfections fade into the background. I was such a perfectionist that I got a bit paralyzed at the stage of paint prep, but after I got over myself I finished and things turned out great and all the imperfections faded away. Everybody that sees the Suzy J sees all the other stuff.

Take Care,

Steve

Thanks Steve.  

• 2 weeks later...

Only wish I was that far along!  I've been sanding , fairing , squinting , etc,etc now for about 6 or 8 weeks and if there's anymore of that that needs to be done it's beyond my ability to see it.  I'll be laying epoxy, glass fabric and more epoxy in the next week or so.

Miyot, your boat looks great!!

Only wish I was that far along!  I've been sanding , fairing , squinting , etc,etc now for about 6 or 8 weeks and if there's anymore of that that needs to be done it's beyond my ability to see it.  I'll be laying epoxy, glass fabric and more epoxy in the next week or so.

Miyot, your boat looks great!!

Thanks Fishman and Hightech.  It looks really good from a distance, but not so much close up.  I spent about 3 days sanding and did absolutely no long boarding, just used the random orbital.  Actually the hull turned out pretty well.  The console is not as good but its good enough for me.  I took the boat for the engine install today and it got a lot of attention at the marina. Customers came outside just to see the boat.  It was the design of the pretty hull that got there attention.  Not my work.  It is Grahams work they liked.  And I like it to.  She rode well on the trailer and I got the feeling she is really wanting to be splashed.  She wants to be finished and running in a swell and so do I.  She is going to be a nice little boat.

Miyot if there are flaws in the exterior finish work, it doesn't show in the pictures and that's cosmetics only anyway.  I'm  more impressed with the neatness and layout of the wiring, plumbing, fuel system, hatches, trim tabs and pumps and so on.  Aside from seaworthiness, that's what really matters.  I only have a vague notion of how I'm going to do all that.  Cheers to you! 

Miyot are you going to put on a bumper rail aft? I am debating it. I like the clean look of your boat but the rail has it purpose. If you want to tickle the cosmetics next year you can. If anyone complains to you ask them where is their boat. Looks great!!! 

PG

Yes. Do you want me to do that next?  I have the rail already.  Ok, I'll do that next.  Morning.