Greetings From A New Member

timgoz

Hello Everyone,

My main intention in joining your forum is to gather information on a building project I am gathering materials for and hope to begin soon.

Helping other members by sharing the knowledge I have accumulated over a lifetime love affair with water & boats, plus socializing with people of a like mind are my other reasons for joining.

Take care.

Tim

Dale & Mark,

Thanks for your replies.

Dale; I plan on building a Dudley Dix design, the Cape Henry 21. Instead of the cockpit mounted 6hp 4-stroke I intend to build his bilge keel version & incorporate a small Yanmar inboard diesel. It seems like a great design. The topsides are based on a traditional English raised deck cutter, while the underside is a close relative to the Mini-Transit racers. So while she looks like a full keeled heavy displacement type, she will maintain steerageway in the lightest of winds.

In response to your second question. I started boating as a toddler. Made my first "voyage" without an adult along, and unbeknowest to them, at 4 yrs. old. Former whitewater guide, Chapman School of Seamanship PMT grad (Spring 1991), time in outboard powered skiffs in Labrador & Alaska, a season of Purrse Seining for salmon in AK, charter boat 1st mate on Northern Labrador Coast (just one trip helping my friend capt. Henry Webb), etc... How about yourself?

Mark; I think the weekender is a really nice design; both asthetically pleasing and functional. My intended build is simular in size and function. I did not want to go for a larger boat, as the reality of my budget will not allow it. I've done some sailing, but like you, I have much to learn.

Thanks again for your replies and take care. Second shift is coming up in a couple of hours so I'll resign myself to a hot and sawdust filled afteernoon and evening.

Tim

Welcome Tim,

Dix designs some very cool boats, including 2 Mini 6.5s that your Henry 21 is sort of related to.  I chatted with him at the WoodenBoat show in Mystic a couple weeks ago.  He gave me the grand tour of his Paper Jet which I would love to build if I were a few years younger.

I look forward to seeing your boat as it progresses.

Nice sketch.  Love the CH 21 and the Cape Cutter 19; both on my favorites list.  I'd say the Cape Henry is quite a bit more boat than the Weekender though.

I have been boating/sailing since 1999.  Owned a Kells Coaster, a 23' fixed keel sloop and now own a Macgregor 26C.  Sail mostly lakes though I have done two trips, one on the Chesapeake and one on Tampa Bay.

Built two vessels, a self-designed dinghy and  a Selway Fisher canoe.

The Kells:

2494963840055246212S600x600Q85.jpg

The Macgregor:

1527262645055246212S600x600Q85.jpg

And the two builds:

2779084170055246212S600x600Q85.jpg

2347055090055246212S600x600Q85.jpg 

And the current build:

2555933090055246212S600x600Q85.jpg

Just lost my post  :(

I hope to do an 8 foot Robert's dinghy as a pratice project.

Regarding clamps and much of the other tools & materials I will need for the Cape Henry, my place of employment will be a big help. We build top end crating for the weapons & heavy industry sectors. I can obtain tools & materials for much of the build at cost.

Tim

Re canoe

Mark,

That's a Selway-Fisher Wren (http://www.selway-fisher.com/Opcan16.htm#WREN).  Turned out pretty nice for a simple build.  I love the profile.  I actually sold it to a guy who came by a yard sale we were having.  As I recall it weighed around 50 lbs.  I built the narrower version of before I even realized the plans came with two versions.  Plans have imperial and metric versions.  Was  little confusing to me at first.  I would build the wider version next time.  I only took it on one trip and I carried some ballast to steady the canoe.  I'd also think about a double paddle (kayak type).  It took me about 50 hours.  Someone with experience could do it a bit faster.  As I recall, website said it was a 20 hours build.