Gwenivere

Johnny Socko

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both sides are on. It is hot and muggy out, the wife had to hold the sides in place while I screw them on. I got a good wife  :grin:

Is there a string for the fist time weekender builder? I know about the FAQ page but is there a dedicated string for it? If not I might start one, and the first thing I would put in is you never have enough clamps (nothing to do with the sides). If you are going to start a weekender put it off for 1 year and start buying clamps of every sort. 2nd, buy marine plywood, If the extra money is putting you off wait another year and save up the money. You've waited 2 years now, if your heart is still in it here is some more. Don't do this exposed to the weather, have a dedicated area in doors, my car port is not cutting it. If there are any newbies following just reply, I can go on for hours. My only saving grace is I love making sawdust.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been a while, sorry. Working on the cabin. Lots of little details. I need to get more wood for the forward rafter. After that I am going to epoxy the inside and paint the inside. I did laminate some 1/4 ply to the cabin floor. I go about 235 lbs and the floor felt a little soft to me. It is much better now. BTW I am 1/2 the way through my 3 gal of epoxy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Well her winter home was not "Home Sweet Home". She was at my parents house, out of sight out of mind. During the course of the winter she got about 50 gallons of water in her. And a lot of mold. I had to remove the cabin and cockpit seats. The hull is sound so all is not lost. Today is the first day of construction. I cut the parts for the rudder box, got them coated with epoxy. Tomorrow I will assemble it all.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While you're there, you may want to consider installing a cockpit drain. Mine is made from a couple of pieces of galvanized pipe run through the keel and glued into place. For a drain plug I use the cork from an empty rum bottle when sailing.

With the drain at the transom I can still get a few inches of water in the cockpit as it pools at the front of the cockpit when the boat's on the trailer. Putting the drain at the front of the cockpit might be a better option. I also get some water that will sit on the seats.

Last winter I invested in a good heavy-duty tarp and had hardly any water in the spring.