2"x6" Channel For Weekender Trailer?

Joel

About 4 months ago I built a channel for the trailer from  2x6 and 2x4 lumber as called for in the Weekender plans.  I used brown pressure treated material thinking it would last longer. I left this laying on my galvanized trailer in the approximate location where it would latter be bolted down.

I went out today to look at completing the trailer set up and found that the galvanizing under the 2x6 was almost completely eaten away and replaced with a green powder. I scrapped the green stuff away with a wire brush. It looks like the galvanizing in the areas that had contact with the treated wood is gone!

I never heard of this problem before and thought I would warn anyone thinking of using this type of wood on their galvanized trailer.

Before I remake this channel using regular lumber, I was wondering if this set up has worked out ok for everyone or if you have come up with something better?

Thanks, Joel

Welcome to the world of newly created pressured treated lumber.Since the scare tactics resulted in doing away with the old CCA stuff ( in use since the 30s) and resulted in the new, that's part of the price you pay. It eats metals. We've had to go to a whole new breed of screws, we now have to insulate the pressure treating from galvanized metals ( as in building construction) and it won't last as long.

Get some tar paper and put that between the metal and the wood. or coat it with roofing tar- something to insulate the metal from the wood.