Aft deck, or not aft deck, that is the question...

Scott Dufour

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to deck the aft section

Ok you smart and experienced sailors, here's the issue:

Having never really sailed enough to know what I want in a boat other than simple relaxed sailing, I've got the question of whether I should deck the aft section of my CS17.

I like the look of the deck, but of course I like the room and what looks like comfort of the transom seat. Of the two options, which will be most versatile or useful. I know this is really general, so maybe if people just stated the rationale that they used to make their decisions, I could use them to inform mine...

Hi Scott,

I started out building my CS17 without the rear deck but after reading (in several places on the net) that the rear of a sailboat is not a good place to have a lot of weight, I went with the rear deck. I even increased the deck length by 12" (overhanging the seats). I then added a 12" wide seat that goes across the back (between the normal seats but still UNDER the rear deck) to build in a small ice chest and a couple of small storage areas. So far it's working out well.

Roger

My CS 20, launched just this week, does not have the aft deck. I like the openness and extra space-- especially for a chart, camera , binocular and lunch. I also like to be able to easily get at my rudder. If you have ever hung up your rudder on a mooring line or lobster trap , you will know what I mean.

In my case, this was an easy decision, made even easier by the fact that, to my eye, the boat looks better without the rear deck.

Bruce I think you nailed the reasoning! Go with what looks best to your eye.

I have the aft deck, cause I like the way it looks. I also use the area under the deck for handy storage, but there is plenty of storage elsewhere.

Mounting a motor is no doubt easier without the aft deck. If I was going with a motor I would probably skip the deck.

I agree that having weight aft will probably take the boat out of it's best trim in some conditions, but just because you have a seat back there doesn't mean you have to sit in it if your trying to go fast. Also no aft deck will make mounting an outboard easier. I also agree with the access to the rudder issue, but what are teenagers for if not to clear the old mans rudder when he runs over a crab trap :-)

I am decking mine because I need the stowage for camping, I don't plan on an outboard (though I will reinforce the transom for a bolt on mount if it makes sense later), I like the extra flotation in case something bad happens, there is plenty of room for my family even with the deck, the kids like laying/sitting on decks, and I personally think the boat has a more genteel look with the deck. Not that the open transom is unattractive, it's simply a little more practical looking. Since this is my "yacht" I want it to be practical, but not look it :-)

That is pretty much why I chose to deck mine, we will see how it works out after launching.

Bruce, congrats on your launching!