galley design

RenMan

greetings all.

I'm a rookie here and really not a sailor at all. I'm in the mental-exercise phase of renovation on a truck camper for a handicaped client (the LOML). At this time I'm doing a search for design ideas to make a compact area of limited floor space into a gally/kitchen cum multiple use area.

I know that boat designers have done some pretty remarkable things in limited space and you folks have some pretty neat toys in your spaces. I'd like to know more about them. Any suggestions are helpful

I sail a boat that has no dedicated galley space. I use a single burner backpacking stove (which does a fantastic job) with a nesting set of pots and a dishpan for a sink. All stow away in a very small space, and can be easily moved to where I need then when I need them. My water supply is in jugs. At one time I had a six gallon jug with a pressure pump, but find that smaller jugs store better and are easier to handle and ration.

I have been on many boats that have dedicated galley areas, and the options are many. Sinks with countertop covers (to provide more effective counter space) are common. There are some clever things that can be done with built in dish racks to store the dishes without shifting during motion and also provide a space for them to drip dry into the sink.

Sailboat often use holding plate refrigeration systems, which might be useful in a camper. I am sure any RV catalog has options. Many of us just rely on ice in coolers.

I sail a boat that has no dedicated galley space. I use a single burner backpacking stove (which does a fantastic job) with a nesting set of pots and a dishpan for a sink. All stow away in a very small space' date=' and can be easily moved to where I need then when I need them. My water supply is in jugs. At one time I had a six gallon jug with a pressure pump, but find that smaller jugs store better and are easier to handle and ration.

.[/quote']

thanks Bret, but I think we're looking at something a little more luxurious and stand alone. We did the camp stove for many years backpacking and it's no longer much of a romantic activity for us. I'm designing a camper around a fairly traditional slide-in style you see today on the back of pick up trucks.