Small Boats 2023 Edition

HighDesert

It’s that time of year again.  

Sometime around Thanksgiving, the Small Boats annual magazine arrives at the newsstands.  Barnes & Noble in Cottonwood Heights, Utah only brings in six copies, so Joan gets there early (not that there’s a big demand for them around here) to buy one, wrap it and put it under the tree.  I usually intercept it at the door.  I was delighted, though not surprised, to see Ken Katz’s article about his OB26, Rosie.  She’s a beauty; to be sure.  

Realizing I hadn’t checked in on the messing-about forum for a long time, I took the time to review many posts, including his...the Spindrift (Kendrift) 9, Lapwing 16 Lula (love that name) with hollow bird’s mouth masts, and Cat’s Cradle, a 33’ steel sailboat.  I learned of Cat’s Cradle a few years ago, but I didn’t understand the magnitude and complexity of that project until just now. I also learned that a longer article with more photos of Rosie appeared last February in the monthly addition of Small Boats.

Ken, your work is amazing.  The Outer Banks series is a wonderful design and you did right by it.

• Like 1

Carter- I didn’t know the article made it into the annual magazine.  Thanks for letting me know.  Thanks for the kind words on my obsessions.  From what I saw in your last post on your OB20 build you are doing the design proud as well!

Ken

• Like 1