New CS17 owner in Florida

hawk232

Drove to Chattanooga the other day to meet up with Gary and buy his beautiful CS17. He was kind enough to drive the boat there from Michigan! I also bought his sailrite sewing machine and plan to sew up quite a few items for the boat. I have never sewn before so that should be fun.

I spent the next morning re-fitting the boat to the trailer (to get the hull to share the load with the keel). Then I set up the boat for a yard sail (i had a sea pearl, so i was familiar with cat ketches but the sprit was a new concept). Once I got that sorted out there was only one thing left to do!!

I would also LOVE to hear any super easy tent solutions. A tarp over a sprit is easy but I need screen for bugs! I intend to sew up a nice tent but until i have time I would love an easy solution.

image0(2).jpeg

I’m not sure I’ve seen an “easy solution” to make a tent for the Core Sound. I’ll be interested see people’s efforts. I started working on the project… the best I could come up with for my Core Sound 15 (Norma T) is:

image.thumb.jpeg.051e0699f2632ef14aa9331dc697aa2b.jpeg

Kind of a “mixed review” but I shall work with the set up some more. 

This is a thread I made:

https://messing-about.com/forums/topic/12937-making-a-tent-for-a-sailboat/

Well, this is one way I did it, stringing the tarp along the mizzen, which I tied up with a halyard.  That was so-so, and a lot of work. 

Version 2.0 is a lot better:  I just tied the tarp back from the dodger to the mizzen, made a kind of gasket joint around the mast, and then pulled the tarp corners down to the opposite quarters of the boat while tying the sides out to the gunnels from the dodger back to the mizzen. And I made up some tent poles to make U's underneath, from fiberglass "replacement" poles I found on the web.  So that required sockets, but I could use my oarlocks.  It all worked, notably in a roaring Wisconsin Thunderstorm.  Not pretty, I suppose.  I kept a lot of the tarp over the dodger to help insure rain-proof-ness.  The tarp of which I speak is from REI, sold as a camp tarp, 12x12, lightweight,  waterproof.  

tarp tent.jpg

Thanks to both of you for the ideas! I have supplies coming in the next couple days to make a trial run tarp tent like Dan's in the video on PadrePoint's thread. Dan is a good friend of mine and i have spent many nights, some in terrible weather, along side Dan in his tent. It does really well.

I will post pics of my progress. Once built, I will use it for several trips them implement any improvement ideas in a future tent with better material.

• Like 1

Just don’t do what I did.  I made one out of lightweight waterproof ripstop nylon.  And I didn’t fasten it well enough to the gunwales.  I tried using it in 15 mph winds— it was a joke.  Look at this video, with the sound up.  Not only was it noisy, but the tent lifted above the gunwales between the attachment points.  I am lucky I didn’t have rain.

ED72643B-1F26-4E7F-AF13-A14FB4BB4F44.jpeg

2FB78995-3E95-4E23-A8A5-BBE43FFF09F9.jpeg

Don, thanks for the tips! I know Dan (maker of the tent video) very well and sailed with him last weekend. I have also anchored out next to him and his tent dozens (not exaggerating) of times in my old sea pearl. We did discuss tent ideas for the CS17 the other day and my tent will be similar to his as well as incorporate some of his "i wish i had done" items.

My first version will be more of a prototype for me to get more familiar with sewing and have sort of a trial run. I will use it a few times and come up with a list of improvements to incorporate in my final design that I am thinking I will make out of Top Notch 9 material.

I went back and reviewed his video.  I see what you’re talking about.  I thought there was a strap that went from one gunwale, under the boat and around to the other gunwale.  This makes more sense.  Not sure if his method would work on my hard chined boat, though.  If I do another tent, I’d need to experiment.