CS 17 #17 - New owner

messingdd97

I'm the new owner of a Core Sound 17, hull no. 17. I bought it from the builder, who hasn't been able to sail it for the last few years. He built it in 2004, as near as I can tell. It needs a little refurbishment,  mostly refinishing, with some localized rot here and there. I figure there's about a week's worth of work to get it going again, which probably means it will take a month, once I get started. I haven't decided if I'll be doing any upgrades, or just fixing what's there. I'll be sailing it primarily on the lower Potomac River. I usually sail multihulls, so this will be a new experience for me.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I brought this to the Messabout this year to see if someone else wanted to take on this project. No one bit, so I've started the process.

First step was to get rid of the rot. I've been a little bashful about taking out wood, but with about 15 hours in, I've gotten bolder.

The transom is completely out. The seat tops are gone. That was pretty much what I figured before I started. Now I'm thinking I'll be replacing the decks as well. While I'm sure I could get by with refinishing the existing decks, I don't think I'll be happy with myself, so this week I'll cut out them out. My new Dremel oscillating tool is getting a workout!

I'll post pics when I'm done cutting.

Holy smokes!   Perhaps I'm niave, but I'm shocked that one of these boats would show that much rot, no matter how old it is.  I have a few home-built boats of that vintage that are still in nearly new condition.  Admittedly, not all boats live in the same conditions, or get the same amount, or intensity of use...but still. 

The quality of the plywood used in the build was good. I don't know what epoxy was used, but it doesn't seem to me that the builder used enough to properly encase the wood. I'm also confident that the storage conditions were far from ideal. That being said, any boat requires maintenance, and this one didn't get it until now.

I am planning a build this winter after I'm done with the repairs on this boat. I have enough synthetic materials on hand (CoreCell, Coosaboard, etc) to build wihout wood. I haven't made many final decisions, so we'll see how that works out.

• 1 month later...

I was able to save the decks. I'm about ready to cut new seat tops and transom. Then the boat will need to be painted. I've got other projects backing up, so I'm very open to moving this on to a new owner. The boat is titled, the trailer is not, sails are in good shape. As is, I'd take $600. I'm also open to selling the sails, boards and trailer separately.