The Tin Bin pics

styge

Okay, I guess I'm going to have to put in a little time on this! Things are a little busy at work lately but here is the address for my album. you may need to log in, in which case username is: styge@gci.net, and password is: bollocks

The ofoto site has great tools for playing around with you photos, but doesn't have very good sharing features! I might find a btter site when I have time.

anyway, without further ado:

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?UV=329429595674_12376413405&collid=14748932405&page=1&sort_order=0

cut and paste that in and you should get the album.

To address those first questions:

The centerboard is aluminum as is the entire boat. No wood whatsoever! I was going to just do the hull in aluminum and fit out the seats and decks in wood, but it was easier once I got under way to continue in aluminum. Also, I favored aluminum, given the typical rock based shoreline that dominates in Southeast AK, and most boat here are Aluminum. For good reason. My desire was to sail the damn thing not add to my yearly list of maintenance chores, which in our climate and coastline would be extensive for a wooden hull. As beaching the boat was to be practical capability for the boat, aluminum was the only way to go!

As for weight, it currently stomps into the ring at a heafty 697lbs! as per the commercial fishing scale we lifted it off the ground with.

Well, that's it for now. If you have questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

Styge

Styge,

Those are an incredible group of construction photos. It looks like you did a great job turning the Core Sound into an aluminum boat, tape and tack I guess. Did you work with Graham on it much? I love it, got any photos of the tin bin on the water? How's the salmon fishing this year?

Pat Kelly

CS 20 #17

Well, not quite sure what you meant by tape and tack, Pat, it was tacked as the hull came together, then weld stritched inside and out alternately, so as to eliminate any air pockets or voids.

I did approach Graham about the idea before starting to get his input on the suitability of the design for this material. As it turned out, there is one already in existance, down in Costa Rica! Hull #1 in fact owned by Russell Swider. I hope he doesn't mind my name dropping! Once I'd spoke with Graham and emailed russ a couple of times, I felt really comfortable about moving ahead with this CRAZY plan!

As for paint, I've ordered up Sterling catalyzing polypropelyne topcoat. Staright onto the bare metal, after I acetone clean it and rough it up a little first. Should key in well, and set up as hard as nails as well as mirror smooth, even from a brush. Ain't cheap stuff though!

I'm probably only going to have it ready to use as a picnic boat this year. I'll get the sail stuff done through this winter I think. This is due more to finances and priorities than anything else. (we have a second kid due in October!) So sailing pics will be a while I'm afraid! I will, however, be putting in this weekend to see if it floats! A little pre shake down, prior to getting the outboard next week. I'm going with a Suzuki 4HP four stroke.

Styge (hull #88)

The paint sounds like a little more than I want to do for an old 12' aluminum boat. The paint would cost more than the boat is worth. Thanks for the info though. Hope you post pictures of her sitting in the water. Congrats on the expected number 2 child also. They are a little higher priority than a boat.

Hey Styge,

She looks great. Congratulations, you did a really nice job. And a major congratulations on the October delivery from Ms Stork! Nice job on that too.

Re Paint: Getting paint to stay on aluminum is tricky stuff. Is that what Sterling recommends for aluminum? For example, Awlgrip recommends to: first grind, then use Awl-Prep Plus, then Alumiprep 33 wash followed by an Alodine 1201 acid wash, then a mil-spec anti-corrosive epoxy primer and then topcoat/paint system.

Yep, with regards to the paint process, Sterling has a similar shopping list of THEIR products, as well as your wallet, to work your way through too! I guess if you have less than brand spanking new, and clean metal to work with it probably not a bad idea. I'm going to take the advice of the guy who's been working with this material for half his life. That is, wipe it down with acetone, to remove any residual WD40 that was used when cutting. Sand all surfaces to be painted with a random ordital, tack cloth the dust off. and paint! He's pretty darn sure this will be sufficient prep. I guess I'll find out won't I!

I'll take my camera with me this weekend when I take her for a dip! We'll see if it floats!