Stapling canoe skin at the bow and stern

Omar Mir

That’s for stretchy nylon.

For the polyester, just pull one side over, add a few staples, move along, add a few more. I put staples at a slight angle to the pull of the cloth so the legs are pulling on different warp/wefts. Less likely to tear holes, I think.

Cut that side off, then repeat with the other side, either stapling between the other staples, or over them in a fancy “x” pattern.

Be careful trimming the edges!

Peace,

Robert

OK, so I've made a little drawing because this part is so visible and I really don't wanna muck it up.

So here is the stern, and the fabric in the drawing, are you suggesting I just take the fabric (I bought the premium tight weave polyester), and for example, take the shaded side and fold it over the stern and staple it to the stern's edge (not the face on either side)? And then I keep stapling it to the end of the stern? Then I cut off the excess fabric - but to what point? all the way to the keel or basically is it till you can fold over the other side without causing wrinkles?

Is there overlap of fabric at the keel then from both sides? And wouldn't the pulling force rip the fabric where it cuts at its mid point? Man I wish there were pictures to explain this part.

IMG_20180607_094826.jpg

Honestly, this is one reason I don’t like staples. I always sew up my stems. In fact, I think sewing is easier than stapling in every case.

But, when I staple, I start at the keel and work up to the sheer. Start with one side, get it taut, then cut the excess off.

Then start on the other side. The “bunch” or “overlap” of “fold” or what have you will become very apparent. 

All this depends so much on the individual boat, you know? There is no ONE answer, because there are so many variables.

The rub strip will cover all the staple, so, yes, put them in the face. :)

Peace,

Robert

Staple the sides first, work from the middle to the ends. Then as you get toward the ends it will be obvious where you need staples. With the premium fabric you will need to start lower on the bow/stern than with the other fabrics because of the tight weave. You can't stretch it around curves like the looser weaves.

I strongly recommend a set of canvas pliers. Makes it easy to do by yourself.  you can get the skin on nice and snug and wrinkle free. You can pull the fabric too tight too! 

I’m confused. I thought we were discussing stapling skin to stems?

If it’s stapling skin in the whole boat, I’m out. Never done it, never will.

Stapling skin on stems I’ve done, though.

Anyway. I hardly ever reply to anything because of this type confusion and my own dumbness.

Sorry. Back on silent.

Peace,

Robert

Oh, I won’t ever stop contributing, when I got something relatively germane and useful.

I just know when I’ve said enough. And when I’m not sure what the heck I’m talking about. :)

I am a big believer in Jeff and his boats. They are the most practical way to build a beautiful boat. Period. And he’s is as cool as boat designers get.

And, dang, don’t you just want to sit down on the porch and hang out with him, after seeing the videos? 

If I can be of any help to anyone, I’m happy. Usually I just keep learning stuff. I mean, no matter how many you do, you always learn.

If you’re not careful.

Peace,

Robert