S10 or 11

jetech

Hello

I have been considering building a Philip Rhodes Penguin until I saw the Spindrift. I am now interested in either the S10 or S11. I would appreciate any opinions on the two boats. I have been reading previous posts to learn as much as I can but still have a ways to go. 

Thanks for any help

Gary

I finished my S10N a year ago and just finished the sailing rig this spring.  I find I can row it with 3 adults and sail it with 2 (tight squeeze because of the center bulkhead), but 95% of the time I'm alone or with 2 dogs.  Because it's a nesting version, I can move it around, put it in the car, launch, etc by myself.  I also can store it inside the cockpit of my bigger boat.  I found the 10' to be ideal for what I do.

Gary, you say nothing about how you will use the boat, that matters a lot in answering your question. Sailing?  Motoring? Tender? Number of people on board? A Spindrift is a great choice for all of these, but size and type (nesting vs. regular) best for you will vary with use.

Thanks for the replies. I plan on learning to sail with the boat. It will mostly be my wife and myself and maybe our Granddaughter on the boat.

All of the sailing will be on Midwest lakes.

I would like the regular hull.

I am familiar with stitch and glue construction. I built a CLC Mill Creek 13.

The capacity and flotation of the Spindrift design really caught my attention. I also like the lines.

jetech,

I have owned several S10's and I now have a S12. The S10 is an incredible boat and we have had some amazing adventures in her. It takes almost as much time to build a 10, 11,or 12 as the building steps are the same. There is an extra sheet of ply needed for each extra foot of length and the bigger boat will need a few more feet of glass and some more epoxy etc.. You will enjoy the bigger boat, especially when you have a crew or two. I launch my 12 by myself. I would never build the nesting version unless I had special space requirements as the standard interior is more seaworthy and better ergonomically.

I would never build the nesting version unless I had special space requirements as the standard interior is more seaworthy and better ergonomically.

As a 9 nesting builder and sailor I highly endorse this advice.

I will be teaching my grandson to sail in my 9N, because I have it left over from its years as a tender.  The 10 is a sweet boat, but if a 3rd, even a small one, will be common, I would consider bigger.  Consider also that the 12 can be a sloop (vs. cat rig).  I would want a trailer regardless of size.  Even the 12 would be a breeze to launch from a trailer.

My last boat was a Rhodes Penguin that I used to race (badly) on the Potomac river.  I swore the next boat had to have good variety of places to sit comfortably.  I'm now building a Core Sound 15 and one of the things that attracted me to that design was the bench seats.  Good luck!

I have built a couple of Spindrift 11s sloops. Great little boat but more fun to sail solo. Going about is a bit tight with two. The design was chosen initially because I had been gifted a "high performance" rig, rudder, centreboard etc from a Walker Bay 10 and wanted to find a nice hull design with a similar sail area. The one with the WB10 rig has proven very forgiving and 3 novice sailors are now happy to solo sail. They are a fun boat to build and getting your head around the butterfly method is rewarding.

Down below is a link to a Youtube video showing my wife sailing along in a light breeze.  This was her second day at the helm - has usually been crew on other boats. There are a couple of other photos on this forum under the heading Another Dumb Question about the butterfly method - or something similar. Very happy to recommend this build but would have gone the 12 if the sail area thing had worked. Good luck with your project.

https://youtu.be/j87Za03LEhA

Alex - that 12-footer just looks like fun waiting to happen.  There's something cheerful about the bright red-orange rudder and CB.  Sweet!

Jetech - I'd stick with the cat rig, especially for learning, because it's much simpler to sail single-handed.  One tiller, one sheet.  Two hands.  I like the math.  

Also, for the uses you've described, "performance" means returning you to the dock with a grin, not competitive speed.

Bob

I agree with the advice given regarding the cat rig. Easy to rig and sail. An unstayed rig has so many less bits and pieces to fit and assemble. You will end up on the water quicker by making this choice on my opinion. Also don't get involved in modifying things.  The designer knows more than we could ever learn. Just trust the plans. Good luck.

Well, not just to be contrary, but if I were building a Spindrift as a primary daysailor I would build the sloop.  Simplicity has its charms but the sloop rig achieves sailing characteristic no cat rig can.  Every design is a compromise, the challenge is to sort yours out.