Knockdown recovery - Spindrift 12

Ambler

Yes Howard the boat has very little water in it and could easily get away from you once it is righted. When she has her sail up and is unloaded she prances and dances around like a pony anxious to be off on a frolic. The weight of the sheet alone is enough for her to sail on.

Graham I agree with you that entering over the transom is a more stable, surer way to reenter. I could feel when entering from the side that I was very close to pulling the boat over. In a real situation I would want to take the sure bet which is over the transom. Entering from the side is probably only practical in wind and waves if you have a buddy who can manage to stabilize the boat from the other side. You definitely have to match your capabilities to a technique that works for you and the only way to do that is to tip her over and get in the water, besides it is fun.

Thank you for designing a boat that performs so well, when sailing and when capsized.

• 1 month later...