Messabout

On May 17th on North Padre Island just out from Corpus Christi Texas, will be a small boat messabout. Laura and I plan to attend with our CLC Sharpie and probably our B and B Minipaw. If you are close enough, try to get by to see us.

Here's a link to info-

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/r/messabout/index.htm

The John's Sharpie is a pretty straight forward build. Nothing out of the ordinary at all. Have no experience building a CS, but the Princess is a little more complex than the Sharpie(of course-it's larger) You should have no trouble doing a Sharpie. Do spring for good plywood- it's worth it.

Remember though, the Sharpie is a performance boat. It carries a good bit of sail for it's weight and beam and my wife and I sail it as a team, each handling a sheet. If the winds are in the 15 knot range we HAVE to reef. Together we weigh around 275. If the winds get close to 20, we just don't sail the boat unless we have other crew. We have switched to using sprit booms instead of the designed booms on ours. We like them a lot better.

On a Lapstitch kit, you save a great deal of time and effort. I think they are worth the money. On a kit for a regular S & G boat you still save some, if for no other reason than you don't have to round up fittings. I would do it from the plans if you have good ply and materials for the masts readily available.