How Much Paint

Brent

I am coming up with about 300 sqft total painted surface in a CS20.

Based on Interlux's estimation of 800 sqft per gallon for Interthane + and three coats that comes out about five quarts of paint. Plus 2 gallons of Epoxy Barrier Kot to make two coats.

Doe those quantities sound about right?

Sounds excessive. My most recent experience has been with Awl Grip. You should be able to easily apply 2 coats of 545 primer with a quart of base and a quart of converter (1:1) depending on how much bright work you have on the inside, decks, etc. I bought a gallon of each and the number of boats we've painted with it goes on and on.

The amount of finish paint depends again on the amount of bright work and whether you're using a different color for the decks and/or interior than you're using on the outside of the hull. Awl Grip mixes 2:1. You should be able to easily paint the exterior with 2 quarts of base and 2 pints of converter. A quart of base and a pint of converter should be more than adequate for the interior.

I haven't used Interthane for awhile, but I seem to remember that I got fairly good coverage from it also.

By the way, I'm rolling and tipping the Awl Grip and like the way it handles much better than the Interthane. If you're careful, its hard to tell from a spray job.

Thanks for the feedback. Those quantities sounded like a lot of paint and money.

I was a bit concerned that Awl Grip would require a bunch of different materials, based on the info on their web site. But do I hear that you are getting good results with putting just the 545 on over epoxy and then the finish coats? That would make the painting process much simpler.

545 is the primer US Paints recommends as the transition between the basic epoxy and Awl Grip. Its actually a two-part epoxy primer that gives a good base coat for the Awl Grip. It will also show up all (make that most of) those little imperfections you thought you had sanded out already. (The ultimate test is the first coat of shiny paint.) Prime, sand, then prime again if necessary to provide a uniform base. A good uniform color base reduces the number of final coats that are necessary to cover and look good.

The number of different materials used with Awl Grip is the same as Interthane. Two-part polyurethanes are all about the same process. They have a base color, a converter to make it get hard and some reducer to thin it out to a good working consistency. Both Awl Grip and Interthane contain the nasty stuff you're not supposed to breath. LOTS OF VENTILATION!! And the brushing converter is not nearly as volatile as spray.

The secret with rolling and tipping is maintaining a wet edge so everything continues to flow together - without sagging. Awl Grip's brushing converter is superior in this regard.

I think that is why you will use more interlux and system 3 primer. They are building primers that are designed to hide the imperfections. You will use more primer as a rule than topside paint. I am perticularly fond of interlux. Color choices are good and the brightsides (one part) paint can give a beautiful finish. But its a matter of how much time you want to spend sanding and fairing vs. some extra money for primers. But the build primers still require pretty darn good prep...just that last fussing can be eliminated.