StevProj News

MikeStevenson

• 3 weeks later...
Various bits of StevProj news on the intro page at www.stevproj.com

When will Super Skipjack plans be available? It kinda looks like a Weekender without the cuddy. Nice boat by the way. Could you build one from Weekender plans and just leave the cuddy off?

Hi,

Yeah, it is pretty much a scaled-down Weekender without the cabin. However: We've lightened things and come up with a MUCH lighter composite rig arrangement (25 lbs, about, with sails.) The new Super Skipjack is really light; Peter and I did a test and he and I can lift the ready-to-sail boat off the trailer with one of us at each end. (rig, lifejackets, tools, paddles, the whole bit!!) I don't have a hanging scale handy, but it has to weigh in around 250 or so WITH GEAR!

So: I would suggest getting the plans and joining the fun! I am really looking forward to setting up some races with this boat soon. I have two or three boats lined up to build in the SF Bay Area and Monterey Bay (close enough to be the same region, really.) I may go ahead and start on a second one for a friend in my area when I get this one I'm doing now out from Texas. I hope to start driving west in about a week and a half.

By the way, Peter and I have really been fine-tuning the plans (having the prototype sitting next to this one is a real boon!) and have adjusted dimensions, come up with new methods, and we think this set of plans should be very clean and easy to follow.

I hope this helps clarify things a little.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I'm chomping at the bit here. Way back when I first started thinking about building a boat I was already torn between the Weekender and the Skipjack. Now there is a Superskipjack that seems the best part of each? It's killing me waiting.

I ought to see if the Peterson's are taking pre-orders for the SS.

Are the $1000 projections on building the SS still holding true?