Sail Plan

Guest Dennis

Graham and Carla -- hope things are going well and pray that Isabelle does not do any damage.

I am wondering about the sail plan of the CS20. How difficult would it be to change the sail plan from the cat-ketch to a balanced lug main, leg-o-mutton mizzen cat-yawl? I know that performance may be degraded a bit, but I would not be looking to enter her in a race across the sound. For the type of pottering about that I do in the fairly rough waters of Lake Michigan, this type of arrangement would be perfect, I think. I'd like your thoughts on the matter when you get settled back in and invite other forumites to offer their two cents worth.

Thanks,

Dennis

One of the fun things about building your own boat is tweaking it to your own liking. If you want a hybrid rig, go for it. But recognizing the sail plan is a major design feature of the boat, a change here will cascade through the entire boat...you could end up with something that looks and performs much different than a Core Sound.

For what it is worth, the balanced sprit rig of the Core Sounds is the feature that got me interested in the boat in the first place. The sail plan keeps the center of effort low in the boat, resulting in less heeling. The split of area between the main and mizzen opens up some interesting possibilities for steering with the sails. The easy tacking and rigging is another major positive from my perspective. I was concerned about being occasionally over powered, so reefing points were added to my sails.