Ready to start my Belhaven 19

hightide

Aloha!

I am just about ready to start the building process of My Belhaven 19! I am very excited about the project as I have wanted a boat like this for a few years now and just completed my workshop/boathouse to start building.

I have built some traditional wooden boats prior, but never have built stitch and glue and am a bit confused by the first steps. I have seen that there were a few people on here that have photo catalogged their build, but the posts were too old to see the pictures, etc. WOndering if anyone knows a good starting place.

Thanks! CHris

Let us know what questions you have. I just started a cs17, the belhavem is probably very similar in the early stages.

First time I did a stitch and glue boat I found Sam Devlin's book on stitch and glue boatbuilding to be super helpful.

If you've just been doing traditional builds and are not real familiar with epoxy, the west systems web site has some good info for using epoxy (applies no matter the brand you are using)

Wes Kisting has a great website dedicated to his CS20 build. I've referred to it many times during my build. The address is http://www.roguepaddler.com/coresound20.htm

I've also been blogging on my build at http://goodfootsailing.blogspot.com/

If you post specific questions here you will typically find numerous helpful answers pretty quickly. Good luck on the build and make sure to post lots of pictures!

Thanks so much guys! I will post pics soon. I built the entire structure from reclaimed wood from old buildings that were torn down in Honolulu complete with an old squashball court floor. Will post pics soon.

First question concerns lead, i see that this boat calls for some lead ballast and lead tip on the CB. For the lead ballast, did anyone have it poured? use lead weights? Hard to find a lead guy here, so not sure exactly what to do on this. Any suggestions?