Mast for Cat Ketch

PJPiercey

I think I will go with aluminum for the masts on the boat I'm now building. The boat I'm building is about 17ft and has a hull weight of about 275lbs. (You can click on my www at the bottom of this message and see my project.) Since I'm in the Seattle area, have access to material, and have a good friend that does aluminum fabrication, the aluminum masts sound like the way to go. The main mast is 21ft with a sail area of 72sqft, the mizzen is 19ft with a sail area of 45sqft. Pretty close I think to the Core Sound 17. I was thinking of using 8ft of 3" dia, 8ft of 2.5" dia, and the remainder 2" dia. For the wall thickness I was thinking .065". Does this sound ok? Does the aluminum need to be reinforced where the mast goes through the thwart?

Thanks for you input!

Paul Piercey

Three inch might be a little more than you need. I use 2 1/2 inch for the bottom half of my mast and 9 feet of a fiberglass antenna that I found in a surplus store. The lower half of my mast is very stiff and the top half a bit more bendy. It seems to work very well. Maybe a top half of bird's mouth would work as well.