CEDAR KEY

Gordy Hill

Ok guys, the small boat gathering at Cedar Key is coming up.

It's always the first weekend in May and there's absolutely no organization.

Boats come from all over the Southeast and it's a truly beautiful place to sail.

That said, this year I'm going to miss it. We have one guy out of work on a medical and I just can't adjust the schedule so I can attend.

If you can possibly make it you'll have a great time, see a lot of really nice boats and meet some very nice people!

The Island Place is a little pricy for me, but right in the middle of things. The Park Place is right across the street from the city beach. I've been staying there and anchoring my boat off the beach. It's ok as long as there's no forecast for a South wind. Both are a short walk from all the seafood restaurants and nightspots.

The Faraway Inn is nearly four blocks from the center of town and the docks....cheeper, but nice.

There's a campground coming into town a couple miles from the docks.

Most boats spend the night pulled up on the shore in front of the Island Place. It gets crowded and there are some oyster beds you might land on at low tide, but it's well protected. They don't seem to check if you're staying there. I kept my boat there one year. I've never heard of anyone reporting anything missing. I leave a lot in the boat, but have a large orange dry box, keep the good stuff in it when I sail anyway, and take it with me to the motel at night.

Never seen a Weekender there...........