Whats included in kits?

Guest dmouw25

Guest dmouw25

I could probably wait until you are ready to sell kits, but I was wondering what is in kits.  I built a Yost kayak already, so I am familiar with the process, but if I do a second one I would prefer to use CNC routed frames.  Will you be offering a plywood only kit?  (so, frames and stations and build instructions)

I finally have the answer to this question.  I have finally got the the kits defined as to exactly what they will include. Just waiting on the shipping scales and packing materials.

I will post some stuff from the store so I can answer your question. Yes, I will offer a frames only kit. It will come with all the plywood pieces including a coaming. If you prefer to make a sewn on coaming I can delete that from the kit. I am not a fan of the plywood coaming honestly, but it works.

One thing I want to point out. The frames are not CNC cut. I actually make a set by hand and then use them as patterns to make the kits from. While I take a lot of time on the patterns they will not be as perfect as a CNC cut would. For example, the straight edges may be not be perfectly straight. There may be a slight unevenness in the cut. Where the inside edge and the corner radius start, some of those do not transition perfectly . There are no glaring errors, but there are some slight irregularities there. As you probably know, it's hard to make them as good as a CNC could. I can post some better photos if you want to see what I mean.

One thing I do is  I round over all the edges on the frames instead of leaving them square. I think this makes a much better looking frame and no sharp edged means it's easier to get dry bags of float bags in and out too. Less to hang on and less chance of splinters. The only thing the frames need is a light sanding. Especially the insides of the frames where the sinew wraps around.

curlew_kit.jpg

CURLEW FRAMES ONLY KIT  *  $345.00 (Price may change slightly)

This is our basic frame kit. It includes the precut frames, the plywood coaming, floorboards, and artificial sinew for lashing and our 80+ page instruction manual on CD.

THIS KIT DOES NOT INCLUDE THE STRINGERS! Sizes are included in the manual.

I will also have kits with Backband, footpegs, seat and the skin at a little bit of discount. The big savings is in shipping them all together. I i will have these items available individually also.

• 2 months later...

The plans have full sized patterns for all the parts. Cut them out and glue them on the plywood. Then cut to the line.

CD contains the assembly manual and some misc. other things. Like the lashing video in a higher resolution. Mainly it is the manual. Since I don't have to print paper copies it helps keep the costs down.

• 1 month later...

I just "discovered" your site and designs today.  Spent an enjoyable afternoon reading the articles and watching the videos. Thanks!

I really like the Ravenswood design and, after seeing your comments in this thread, have decided to order the plans. 

One question I have is this: what plywood is used in the construction?  !/4," 3/8," 1/2," or? 

Thank you.

Bob W

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...