Atkin & Co "Nanny-Gay"

bharleyh

My Wife and I are both in love with the weekender. The fact that it is easier to build was a bonus. When we found the weekender we read everything on it (just like everybody else did). The writer would often talk about the trade offs in deciding on a boat. Can't have everything. Then the very next sentence put down the boat. I understand this boat does not appeal to everyone but come on. Maybe it is just jealously, the design has been successful.

We do plan on building the Pocketship some day but not today.           

Thanks for the comment on the Whisstock designs. I wish others would comment too.

To my mind the greatest advantage to building your own boat is knowing you can always build another.

My Weekender certainly has been nothing but a delight for me, especially after the numerous mods and additions I have done to make it quite liveable for what it was built for: weekend excursions. So here I am at another crossroad, looking for a design so I can go farther and longer.

Again the compromises kick in. The next boat, among other things: must be trailerable because I keep my boats at home and so I can access various cruising grounds; must be able to cross open waters to get to the next islands; must be sailable single-handed if necessary; must be beach-launchable because of the paucity of ramps in my part of the world; and of course must look graceful and gorgeous because I love the romance of the sea. Thus the search continues, and my present pecuniary predicament allows me the the luxury of scrutinizing available designs.

Until then, I'm having fun with my Weeekender. :-D

I like the Wisstock designs, they have the traditional English fishing boat look to them. The reasons I'm not serious about them is they are round bottomed (still looking for the Skipjack hull) and I've never built a boat. They may be a little too complicated for me. Also if you download the plans you'll probably have to take them to Kinkos for large prints. Or wait for the full size to be delivered (which really isn't a big deal). I think I would go for the fullsize plans.

Selway-Fisher has similar designs with ply on frames and I think stich and glue.I think I would be more comfortable attempting one of those kinds of build.

These are my opinions but remember I'm a novice sailor / Weekender owner

Enjoy your search

Bruce Hagan

• 2 months later...

Sailing appeals to different people for different and very personal reasons.  Some, including me, cant stand a boat that does not sail well in a performance sense.  Some others could not care much about the performance aspect and just enjoy being out there in their own sailboat.  

Whether the Weekender appeals to you depends a lot on which camp you fall into.  There is no reason to look down on either from whichever vantage point you occupy.  I'm a performance guy and so the Weekender does not appeal to me for many reasons.  Personal opinions about the many different boats and kinds of boats are the stuff of discussion and the internet would be very dull without such give and take.  

Many groups want to be very protective of "their" turf and exclude outsiders.  I have a friend who was asked why he brought a beautiful Ken Basset Rascal to a messabout dominated by Bolger boats.  Not what I'd call friendly.  

To put a closure to my comments on this thread: 

I just ended my search for my next boat. I acquired the plans for the Belhaven 19, Hull No. 30.

Now the fun begins.

Thanks to all for your comments, especially to Frank.

Rolando

Good choice, the Belhaven 19 is a good looking boat. Best wishes on your building and future sailing.

Bruce