Thats it! I'm outta here!

Ken_Potts

Dick showed me the way down the ridge to the West to Wayland's Smithy Long Barrow.  It's a burial mound that was first started in the murkiest years of pre-history and has been added to since (in the still murky years).  It's too late in the evening (early in the morning?) for me to look up the estimated dates and the progression of construction and excavation so I'll leave it to one of you to post a link to a description, but here's a picture of the entrance to the barrow.

post-402-129497687019_thumb.jpg

After lunch (and a pint) in a nice pub in (or near) Uffington, Dick dropped me off at Bob and Liz's house to regroup before walking over to a pub (Chequers) in a neighboring village, Aston Tirrold.  Dick and I walked over there with Dick's friends Pete and Bren, who are driving me to Shropshire tomorrow.

Shropshire is the site of the camping trip where something like 65 old friends are to meet for a few days of fun in the (hopefully) sun.  This group is the "Old Lags" some of whom I met on a sailing trip in the Bahamas.  If it hadn't been for that chance meeting, and the subsequent chance consumption of lots of beer and rum, and telling of many stories while camping on beaches for a week I wouldn't be here right now.

Who could have predicted that a random camping trip would lead to such an extended round of fun in a far-off land?

I hope I'm not getting too cloying, here - I'm just having a really good time.  :cool:

post-402-129497687036_thumb.jpg

I haven't had access to the internet lately because I've been camping in Shropshire but now I've moved on to the South Coast.  We sailed over to Cowes from Gosport today and I'm sending this from the Anchor Pub (free wi-fi).  I'll process photos and post more later (when I've moved back ashore) but here's a quick picture.

post-402-129497687247_thumb.jpg